20,000 MILE FILTER CHANGES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know (Filter Guy, Pete C.) if oil filters specified for Honda's that have oil filter change recommendations of 20,000 miles (OCI's of 10,000 miles with a filter change every other time) have any significant differences in their design specifications compared to standard or typical filter specs that are necessary to allow them to go 20,000 miles? If not, then using Honda's logic any oil standard oil filter can safely go 20,000 miles before changing in their eyes. Interesting.

All aftermarket oil filters that are design to fit a particular engine will meet or exceed the OEM specifications, drain interval included.

With that said, the correct sized SuperTech filter should be able to satisfy the 20,000 mi service interval, since Honda recommends it.

Whether you want to do it though, is up to you.

For as something as important as a "filter", and with even good ones, basically cheap---I don't care to "flip a coin" with my luck.

I'm as driven with filters, as I am the oil. It's protecting that "life's blood" of your engine, we are always reminded of.
wink.gif

Well, I don't think you can apply Honda's logic across the board. They have, typically, smaller engines and are, on average, fuel squeezers. So their sewing machinery probably is way down on the byproduct production vs a new SBC. I imagine different issues accompany larger displacement engines ..even if the filter and the sump are proportionally sized. You would still have about 2.5-3.0 X the fuel passing through the engine.

..but I would imagine that the same argument would have to apply to like displacement engines in other cars that get like fuel economy ..which I don't know if they do
dunno.gif

All Honda/Acura share the same filter other than their S2000 which still uses a better one build in Japan, with different part number.

That said, it is the engine improvement that enhanced the duration of oil and filter. In your case, that means the ST filter should be good enough for your typical application, of say, 20k miles.

ive gone to roughly 20K mile filter changes across the board. i service 2 hondas, they get the 20K change. i also servica a bunch of other cars. they are all getting 20K filter changes, OR every 2 years, whichever comes first.

Maybe Honda engineers know their engines are easy on the oil (not sludge prone).

I did 18K oil filter changes for the last 5 years (oil was changed every 6K miles) on a 98 Civic EX. As you can see, even with GF3 SL rated dino, the engine was pretty clean. I would NOT try this with a sludge prone engine.

Does Lexus or Toyota recommend 20K filter changes ??
dunno.gif

-

I forgot to mention, like MasterAcid

I service 5 Hondas in our family, but I use the 'oversized' Purolator L-20073 or L-24458.

There is nothing special with the Honda oil filter.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:

I service 5 Hondas in our family, but I use the 'oversized' Purolator L-20073 or L-24458.

FWIW, I just ordered a pack of 6 15400-PLM-A01 Filtech made Honda filters for $24.66 with a shipping charge of approximately nothing because they were part of a larger parts order.
http://www.handa-accessories.com/

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:

FWIW, I just ordered a pack of 6 15400-PLM-A01 Filtech made Honda filters for $24.66 with a shipping charge of approximately nothing because they were part of a larger parts order.
http://www.handa-accessories.com/

You could've picked up locally too, as those guys are in Citrus Heights. Carmichael Honda sells Honda parts for MUCH less than Elk Grove Honda.

Why should the filter be changed more often on a sludge prone engine? If the oil itself is being changed more frequently to prevent sludge formation in the first place then the filter shouldn't be affected--right? (I change the dino oil every 3,000 and the filter every 9,000 on a Toyota Camry 4-cyl sludger)

The new Amsoil 'Ea' oil filter;
1. Is designed for use with synthetic oils. There is, in fact, a differance between filters.
2. Filters finer while allowing better oil flow than any other filter.
3. Is rated for up to 25,000 miles between changes.

3. Is rated for up to 25,000 miles between changes.

I'm pretty sure that this falls under the 1 year umbrella. If you're putting 25k on in a year, I doubt that you're operating in any mode that would load a filter or tax an oil too much. You've GOT to be in the sweet spot of operation to a very high degree. It's still a great rating ..but I achieved it (13 months) with a PureOne over 9k and the level of filtration was excellent.

So, I think you need to define 25k a bit before granting it too much merit. I'm sure they're a cut above others.

One scary thing about about the whole Honda 20K filter change is that you might ended up with a Honda badged Fram filter for the next 20K.

The 20K oil filter change will the things of the past. Most of the current Honda relies on the Oil Life Monitor and it doesn't account for the use of synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
You could've picked up locally too, as those guys are in Citrus Heights. Carmichael Honda sells Honda parts for MUCH less than Elk Grove Honda.

The H and A website says no store pickup. Do they have place you can just walk into and buy stuff?

quote:

Originally posted by Bebop:
One scary thing about about the whole Honda 20K filter change is that you might ended up with a Honda badged Fram filter for the next 20K.

The 20K oil filter change will the things of the past. Most of the current Honda relies on the Oil Life Monitor and it doesn't account for the use of synthetic.

The Honda filter numbers are different for different manufacturers. Critic should be able to tell you which is which for your car.

IIRC, on my Acura the difference was it ended with a -A01 for the Filtech and -A02 for the Fram. Don't spend any money based on my fuzzy memory of the part number difference.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

The H and A website says no store pickup. Do they have place you can just walk into and buy stuff?

I suspect H&A= Carmichael Honda. Their parts are ridiculously cheap compared to all other dealers.

Cost should be the same, A01 is Filtec, A02 is FRAM. 15400-PLM-A01 size is equivalent to FRAM PH7317.

quote:

I suspect H&A= Carmichael Honda. Their parts are ridiculously cheap compared to all other dealers.

Cost should be the same, A01 is Filtec, A02 is FRAM. 15400-PLM-A01 size is equivalent to FRAM PH7317.

Thanks for the clue. Mr Google verified that H and A is the mail order outlet for Carmichael. Unfortunately, Mr Google also says that Carmichael won't match H and A's price when you're a walk in customer. Sounds like you experiance is that Carmichael's prices are still good though.
cheers.gif
Thanks for the tip.

Nielo Acura's online prices for accessories looked like about 20$ under list. Not as good as H and A, but not bad. The free coffee at Nielo is good quality coffee too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back