2 years on my perpetual OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow will be 2 years(and 43,000 miles) since I installed the Motor Guard on my mail route Jeep. The larger than standard Amsoil EAO-15 full flow filter has been on the whole 2 years. I started out changing the TP every 2000 miles, but now change it every 2500 miles. I had planned to replace the full flow filter at 2 years, but is there any reason to? I'm using the Amsoil Ea air filter too. The only UOA I've had done since the Motor Guard installation was at 14,000 miles into the OCI. Blackstone said it looked great. 295,0000 miles on the odometer now and still runs very well. Using Amsoil ACD 30W/10W-30 diesel oil. So should I change the full flow filter?

The cost of a full flow filter is negligible compared to replacing a reliable vehicle, even one at 295k miles. So, perhaps a change is warranted. You surely got your money's worth at this point.

I always encourage getting the most bang for your buck, and if you had some data (UOA) to show us what condition the oil is in we could give you the proper recommendation. BUT, since there is no UOA here I'd err to the side of caution.

Go ahead and spin off the full flow and replace with another one would be my 2 cents thrown in the hat. BTW, the Amsoil full flow is a good option.

tap off a UOA for everyone to argue over. Please!! This could really spark a great thread. 6 would congratulate you on sticking with it. 5 would argue that you wasted your money on Amsoil. 2 or 3 would ponder the true mileage of 2500 miles in postal delivery service ..and one or two character members of distinction would give you their rhetorical usual "stuff".

..but before that happens ..good show on hanging for 2 years!
cheers3.gif

My 2500 mile TP change will be tomorrow night. I'll also replace the full flow filter. In the near future, I'll have another UOA done just for curiosity. Thanks for the comments. :)

Near future....NEAR FUTURE? Ah, common...tomorrow night sounds like the perfect time to take a sample while your changing filters anyway!! Give us some numbers before you change your filters. Please.

I resisted my verbose tendencies in my first post, but Gary has now thrown down the gauntlet ...
grin2.gif

My point here is that you need to decide just where your threshold of "pain" versus "pleasure" is at. Do you want to risk a filter failure? If so, at what point is the risk to overwhelm the need for reliable transportation? Since this is your daily driver, perhaps not. Can you afford to keep running the filter until it rots off from rust decay?

Here's my analogy (I'm famous for them). I have two roto-tillers. One is a Honda that I take good care of. The other is an older roto-tiller with a Briggs&Sratton side valve engine. I haven't changed the oil in it like 5 years now (so long ago, I've forgot). I have NO intent to change the oil. I want to see just how much "abuse" it can take. It was a low cost tiller, and I believe it can just keep running with the garbage that's already in it. I do make sure that it's topped off (haven't even needed to add any oil in the last several years). Why do this? For the fun of it. Lost cost entertainment! And I don't rely on this piece of equipment to take me to work, or feed my family. It's a purpose built toy. The reward of the "shock and awe" of no oil changes outweighs my personal risk of having it sieze up. Plus, I have a spare yard-sale motor sitting next to it, should the engine sieze. The risk is low; the reward for my (unBTIOGlike) behavior is the fun of seeing just where the failure point is. Be asured, this is NOT my typical maitenance mentality for my expensive and needed items; it's an experiment to "boldy go where my equipment has never gone before", to coin a phrase. This attitude probably eats into the very fiber of some here on BITOG, as they would run premium RL or Amsoil synthetic and OCI every season for a piece of equipment than gets maybe an hour of use per year. I choose the low road in this case. And I enjoy the relative shame I bring upon it in the process.

So, why are you asking us if you should be changing a filter? Shouldn't you be telling us, not asking us, what best fits your needs????????

If you "need" this vehicle regularly to be reliable, then change the filter for Pete's sake. If not, then why not shock the BITOG world and run it until the filter rots off. Just keep some spare oil and a filter in the back with the mail in case it happens far from home.

Last edited:
Nothing better than a dnewton meandering.

I wished I had bookmarked the one about meeting the pretty girl in the bar and asking her to go home with you, etc. That was my favorite one
LOL.gif

Back on topic now.....
45.gif

I'm not going to say change it - we're in uncharted territory here and I just don't know what to tell you... I say pull a UOA and make sure you get a TBN done. It will spark an interesting thread, as Gary said.

Also, get a particle count just for the fun of it.

OK OK OK !!!!!! Let go of my arm!!!!! :) I just filled a Blackstone sample bottle and then changed the full flow and the toilet paper. Had to add 2.5 quarts of oil! Yes, this is the vehicle I drive 5.5 to 6 hours a day to earn a living, and it is important to me to keep it running as long as possible. Although the engine owes me nothing, and if it blew tomorrow, I would replace it without complaint, I would like to get another 6 to 8 years (that's 150K to 200K more miles), which will put me at retirement. I just so wish I had installed bypass filtration when it was new, instead of 220,000 mail route miles later. If Ralph is right, and I am inclined to believe he is, then I could have saved myself thousands of dollars in cash, and unmeasurable grief and stress just by running a bypass filter on the transmission. Now about this particle count someone is suggesting: I have never had one done, but I will look on the Blackstone website to see what the cost is.

Seems to me someone ran a Vega (remember those?) with no oil changes and only added oil when needed. Never did find out how long it finally lasted. Anyone else remember that experiment?

What does Amsoil recommend about the oil filter change? You must have read all the info about the filter and believed it because you purchased the filter. How are you saving money at approx $6.00 per Qt at 2,500 miles?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What does Amsoil recommend about the oil filter change? You must have read all the info about the filter and believed it because you purchased the filter. How are you saving money at approx $6.00 per Qt at 2,500 miles?

IIRC, Amsoil's recommendation for the EAO filter is 25,000 miles or one year. But, they obviously are not refering to the perpetual OCI method. I am not saving a lot of money on oil, but I am saving time and labor on oil changes and in theory keeping the oil much cleaner. The UOA I get back in a few days should tell if this is true or not.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Did you cut open the Eao? Would like to know what the 43K filter looked like....pics?

I do not have an oil filter cutter, but the filter is sitting on my workbench. Do you have a suggestion on the best way to open it without a cutter?

I don't think there will be anything to see in the filter. I have been running a Motor Guard filter on my diesel Benz for 6 years and have not changed the full flow for 110,000 miles. I change the TP element and change the oil each 5000 miles. 240,000 on the car now and runs fine. I changed the timing chain and took out the cam while I had it apart. Everything looked like new. Valve lifters looked like mirrors with no signs of wear. I have been using S9000 oil most of the time. Prior to that I used S7000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back