2 years old, 1000 miles pennzoil

I have a van that only gets used for hauling. I don’t short trip it at all. When I need to pick up large items, I use it. You can see the low miles. The oil in it was Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. Does this oil need to be changed? I have a feeling no, but most people suggest changing based on a time interval if not miles. How does oil even degrade? I am skeptical of the time interval when such low miles is factored in.

I'm not one to blithely suggest someone spend their money but this time an oil analysis-or two- might help save money.
Three (years) could be the new one.....in low mileage instances.

It kills me that my "friend traffic" has diminished with age. I had no problem with waste whenever I changed oil early because I always used it for top-offs. You'd be amazed how many times people would be over a quart low.
I'd tell 'em to get their oil changed soon and many times that would generate paying hobby work.

Oh well, things change.

Last edited:
I have a van that only gets used for hauling. I don’t short trip it at all. When I need to pick up large items, I use it. You can see the low miles. The oil in it was Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. Does this oil need to be changed? I have a feeling no, but most people suggest changing based on a time interval if not miles. How does oil even degrade? I am skeptical of the time interval when such low miles is factored in.
It's entirely dependent on how those 1000 miles were accumulated during the time period. Extensive short tripping (especially in cold weather) is dramatically different than two 500-mile trips on the highway. You say you do not short trip the vehicle so that is more forgiving.

One way oil degrades is from blow-by and products of combustion where the sulfur compounds in the fuel are oxidized, and when combined with water from combustion create acids in the oil. These are neutralized by the oil's buffers up and until the buffers can no longer do so (TBN is depleted). So if an engine is not operated then acids do not continue to accumulate in the oil.

I would ask myself how long I plan to keep the van and how much does an oil change cost. The usage is nearly best-case scenario (low annual mileage, longish trips only) but still, 2 years is 2 years. I would change it after the next drive.

As others said above, it depends on the engine, how it was driven, and the environment. I'll add that 2 years doesn't necessarily mean the oil must be changed. Our old Subaru (2003 with just over 100k miles) had 2 years and about 3000 miles on the oil. I sent it in a sample for UOA and the results said no need to change it. Viscosity in spec, low contaminants, TBN still good.

One reason calendar time is a factor is because of condensation & corrosion. The oil's acid neutralizing additives are gradually consumed as they do their work.

It was me, NO...your car's engine does not know the oil so does the oil does not know it's been there for 2 years . It is like the oil was kept in a storage as long moisture in the engine did not interfere to rust moving parts. If there is moisture in the oil it will evaporate. When you start the vehicle do a warm up so that the oil can have time to lubricate moving parts.

I did decide to change it actually. I decided the cost of $33 really isn’t all that much. I did leave the filter on though.

This amounts to personal choice, and what makes you feel good about doing, or not doing. I use Pennzoil 5W-20 Platinum and Ultra Platinum in my 5.7 V-8 Jeep. It doesn't get driven anywhere near the mileage limit. I change both oil and filter every 6 months.

Am I overdoing it? Probably. Could I get away with once a year oil and filter changes? Probably. But I feel better doing it every 6 months. It's easy, (I have Valvomax Drain Systems on all my vehicles). And oil and filters are relatively cheap.

And I don't like leaving oil in my engine for a year. So for the extra effort, and little money it's worth the peace of mind..... As always YMMV.

Valvomax Drain Systems
It's a gimmick. This company even sells a dipstick cleaner 🤣🤣🤣

Untitled_design_3_3b215bad-d218-43b2-8e22-9989af26cec6_900x.png

And they even paid Scotty Kilmer to advertise for them 🤣🤣🤣

The only way they could improve the experience is to offer a satchel and advertise it as a tool bag.

The-Hangover-12July2016_rex_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me get this straight: you wouldn't own a vehicle if it wasn't for Valvomax?
Stop being a silly smart ass. It's a good, well made and well engineered product that works as advertised. Period. And it saves time and trouble. If you think differently, then grab your ratchet and have at it. Either way I couldn't care less.

Back