2 year old gas in boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading some Mercruiser articles and of course, it's got me worried now. Stored my boat 07. Doesn't have a gas drain valve on it, so I put some stabile in it and ran it as low as I could without stalling. It is stored inside a garage. Checked it last summer, gas smelled fine and put a little more stabile in it. Wanting to fire it up here pretty soon, but been reading where the fuel may have varnished. I haven't had a chance to smell it yet, but is two years almost a guarantee that the fuel would have turned to varnish? Should I try and fire it up with what's left in the tank or go ahead and dump about 5 gallons in it of fresh gas and then try and fire it up? This is a carbuerated engine, the Mercruiser 3.0

The purpose of the Sta-Bil is to prevent exactly what you are concerned about. The fact that you ran it with the treated gasoline is another plus, as the treated fuel is inside the carb. I would just add fresh gasoline to the tank, and run as normal.

+1
I would fill the tank, run that down, then add a fuel additive like Sea Foam (follow the amount on the can), fill the tank, run the tank down close to empty, and thats it!

You could run a small amount of MMO or Seafoam in the gas at all times to keep the carb clean and lubed aswell. . .

With that regimen that I used, you don't think that I could have varnished up the gas lines or the carb? That's whats got me concerned having the varnish flake off and then clog up the fuel line or carb. jets. Thanks, feel confident now.

Brothers, thanks. I'll be able to enjoy my homebrew tonight without worrying about the boat! Boating season is fast approaching and I hope gas prices stay lower than they did last year.

You did yourself a huge favor by using the Stabil.
But carburetors get deposits, so a cleaner added will be wise.
The Seafoam is a good idea in the tank.
I normally am not a fan, but for this I'd try it for sure.
Expect it to run lousy for that tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back