2-Year Oil Change??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom's Buick 3.8 Regal only has around 1500 miles since the last oil change (Mobil 1 10w30, stash bought by Dad before he passed). She drives mostly local errands, but I take the car on the highway for a decent drive once and awhile.

Bringing the car in for inspection Saturday. Think I can leave the M1 in for another 12 months or have the garage do a oil change while it's there? Oil looks clean, and the car was always very well maintained.

Drew, sorry to hear about your Dad.
frown.gif
I will really miss my dad when he goes. (He is 60 this year, More like 40 though).

I would go 2 years or 5K miles on the M1 whatever comes first with that driving pattern. It can handle it no problem with that engine.

The oil filter may not handle 2 years. If you want to go a full 2 year before you change the oil, change the oil filter.

I would go 1 year with a good dino like PYB or Valvoline or Mobilclean 5000 and a regular filter. The worry would be TBN depletion over 2 years.

ditto.

It'd be the filter I'd be more worried about.

I would at least change the filter once a year, and use whatever amount of oil it would take to compensate for the spillage!

Hi,
Drew2000 - Feel confident that the M1 and oil filter will last well up to two years - and perhaps beyond

I'm 70 and I still miss my Dad who passed away 18/1/1975 - around 35 years ago!

Last edited:
Drew, I have been through a simular experience. Dad passed away in Dec. 99', and I managed Moms two vehicles until she passed away in March 07'.

Almost identical scenario, I used Mobil 1 for two years, accumulating about 1500 miles each time. No ill effects whatsoever. In fact, I ended up keeping Dads 97' Chevy truck, I am driving it today, and it only has 24,000 miles so far.

Just stay with your plan. That Mobil 1 is still very fresh even going into the 2nd 12 months. It makes two years easy.

Thanks for the replies and kind words. My dad always used to joke "Getting old $ucks, but it beats the alternative!"

Folks seem kind of split on the decision 1 yr vs 2.

Regarding the filter, what exactly is "wearing out" when the car isn't being run causing it to need changing? I'm pretty sure filter is a PurOne.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Regarding the filter, what exactly is "wearing out" when the car isn't being run causing it to need changing?

Nothing. The filter is OK. The time for the filter is not as important as the volume pushed through it (and thats not much at all, just 1500 miles worth/year). Also much less thermal cycling with lower mileage.

The filter will be fine. What kills the filter is actually the number of hours of hot operation on the rubber gasket if it isn't the best (costlier) type of gasket.

I'd use two years. The short, cool trips are problematic, but using that car when you make a longer run with mom is a very good idea.

I also going the 2 year low mileage route on my 85 cadillac summer only driver, only putting about 800 kms a season running Max Life High mileage synthetic 10w-30 +500ml EOS, and Fram Extended Guard filter.........

Well, based on m experience yes, no problem. IMO the ones saying no or change filter etc have never tried it and had UOA done etc.

You will be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back