2 strokes and fuel additives

Curious what your thoughts are on adding Gumout Regane or Berrymans B12 to 2 stroke fuel for my KTM 300xc? According to Gumouts website it can be used. But I am concerned it could lessen the lubricating properties of the 2 stroke oil (Motorex 2T). I would prefer to use the Gumout since it has PEA in it, but I know B12 is good stuff too.

Berryman B 12 is a powerful solvent. Nothing good could come of it, unless your aim is messed up fuel/oil ratio.
Think that stuff might attack the crank seals too. Another reason to not pour it in.

Curious what your thoughts are on adding Gumout Regane or Berrymans B12 to 2 stroke fuel for my KTM 300xc? According to Gumouts website it can be used. But I am concerned it could lessen the lubricating properties of the 2 stroke oil (Motorex 2T). I would prefer to use the Gumout since it has PEA in it, but I know B12 is good stuff too.
I use a product in my 2 stroke fuel called Mechanic In A Bottle as a Maintenance Dose, like half an ounce to a gallon of fuel mix.

If you're trying to keep the top end clean, I regularly use Yamaha Ring Free in our KTM 2 strokes. Never any carbon issues. That may be more due to the oil but every top end teardown is always nice and clean.

Good 2 stroke is designed to clean deposits while lubing. I run Ravenol FD snowmobile oil as premix in my Mazda RX8 rotary engine. I swear it's got a little more growl than with even the API-TC Mobil 2 stroke. Cleaning secret is polyisobutylene (PIB).

Attachments

• Ravenol.jpg
    Ravenol.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 18
What is the need for a fuel additive? I've never had issues running 89 or higher octane with a little stabil. Most 2 cycle oil has a fuel maintainer as well as other additives.

Use 1/2 ounce of Regane to a gallon of fuel and then mix in your 2-cycle oil.

Dang, didn’t think this would be such a hot topic. My reasoning is just to help keep things clean and to help stabilize the fuel as it sits in the winter. Also because I ride woods/enduro and I’m a slow rider that isn’t always on the pipe so I want to keep carbon build up in check.
If you're trying to keep the top end clean, I regularly use Yamaha Ring Free in our KTM 2 strokes. Never any carbon issues. That may be more due to the oil but every top end teardown is always nice and clean.
I have seen this mentioned in my searches, I’ll have to check tomorrow to see if my local Yamaha dealer has any.
Good 2 stroke is designed to clean deposits while lubing. I run Ravenol FD snowmobile oil as premix in my Mazda RX8 rotary engine. I swear it's got a little more growl than with even the API-TC Mobil 2 stroke. Cleaning secret is polyisobutylene (PIB).
I haven’t considered using different pre-mix. I’m pretty partial to Motorex 2T since it is recommended and on my old RM I had before I found that to run the cleanest. I’ll have to look into that.
What is the need for a fuel additive? I've never had issues running 89 or higher octane with a little stabil. Most 2 cycle oil has a fuel maintainer as well as other additives.
I try use 91 non ethanol since my bike has a higher compression head and is generally a higher quality fuel. I’ve never been a fan of Stabil after tearing apart a family members carbs on older lawn equipment that were gummed up over winter. But it could have been too high a dose, I don’t know? I suppose I didn’t think about 2 stroke oils being a fuel stabilizer, makes sense though. My main goal is to keep carbon from building up since I don’t ride hard or on the pipe like others do. The older I get, the longer I take to heal. Haha
Use 1/2 ounce of Regane to a gallon of fuel and then mix in your 2-cycle oil.
Thank you!!! I was looking through their products and it looks like REGANE All-In-One has UCL’s which could benefit ever so slightly. My concern that it might reduce or breakup the premix and lower the lubrication. But I think I’m over think it. Haha

I use nothing but fuel and 2 cycle oil in my high performance toys. Never have any build up. I also use lots of oil.

I do scheduled tear down of my engines.

p.s. I did have seafoam eat a rubber fuel line once. Last time I used any additives.

Dang, didn’t think this would be such a hot topic. My reasoning is just to help keep things clean and to help stabilize the fuel as it sits in the winter. Also because I ride woods/enduro and I’m a slow rider that isn’t always on the pipe so I want to keep carbon build up in check.

I have seen this mentioned in my searches, I’ll have to check tomorrow to see if my local Yamaha dealer has any.

I haven’t considered using different pre-mix. I’m pretty partial to Motorex 2T since it is recommended and on my old RM I had before I found that to run the cleanest. I’ll have to look into that.

I try use 91 non ethanol since my bike has a higher compression head and is generally a higher quality fuel. I’ve never been a fan of Stabil after tearing apart a family members carbs on older lawn equipment that were gummed up over winter. But it could have been too high a dose, I don’t know? I suppose I didn’t think about 2 stroke oils being a fuel stabilizer, makes sense though. My main goal is to keep carbon from building up since I don’t ride hard or on the pipe like others do. The older I get, the longer I take to heal. Haha

Thank you!!! I was looking through their products and it looks like REGANE All-In-One has UCL’s which could benefit ever so slightly. My concern that it might reduce or breakup the premix and lower the lubrication. But I think I’m over think it. Haha
I never had stabil gum up a carb on me. Have you tried star tron products maybe they have some thing for you

I might try 1oz of the Gumout in one tank of fuel, 2.5gal. If it seems like it isn't quite right I'll drain it and set the fuel aside for my lawn mower and dilute it further with more fuel. I don't think there is any issues, but I like to prevent build up if I can. I know I'm overthinking this, so I thank you guys for dealing with me an my silly questions. haha

I use nothing but fuel and 2 cycle oil in my high performance toys. Never have any build up. I also use lots of oil.

I do scheduled tear down of my engines.

p.s. I did have seafoam eat a rubber fuel line once. Last time I used any additives.
Ya, I've never been a huge fan of seafoam. I've seen it do some funky stuff, probably user error most of the time. I would assume many fuel cleaners are rubber and seal safe, but there is always caution when dealing with fuel system cleaners which is part of why I am here as well.
I never had stabil gum up a carb on me. Have you tried star tron products maybe they have some thing for you
Ya, I think it was user error. But either way I've never really used. Sadly I never got to ride the KTM last year (very busy between the rona and a deployment) and very little this year, but we are going on a trip to northern MN in a week.

I totally forgot about Startron! Thank you, I do recall they made stuff for marine applications which is generally safe on both 4 and 2 stroke marine engines.
When my son was racing motocross he was constantly pulling the head for cleaning. Then he tried Klotz (?) oil and never had to pulled the head. He said it was very expensive but worth it. Later he moved to 4 stroke bikes.
Klotz seem like good stuff from what I've seen on here but I don't think I have seen it on the shelf in my area around here. Thats a lot of build up cleaning it that often, especially for mx riding. Do you know what oil he was using before? I know some like the Maxima 927 Ester, I will admit the smell is addicting. But I always notice a lot of build up on the pipe when people use it.

REGANE has a higher viscosity than gasoline.

Your 2-cycle mix provides the lubrication.

Klotz seem like good stuff from what I've seen on here but I don't think I have seen it on the shelf in my area around here. Thats a lot of build up cleaning it that often, especially for mx riding. Do you know what oil he was using before? I know some like the Maxima 927 Ester, I will admit the smell is addicting. But I always notice a lot of build up on the pipe when people use it.
Not on the shelves that I know of. He bought it from one of his racing friends that was a dealer. I guess it's like Amsoil. I think he was buying their race gas also. These were the days before pre-mix.
He tried all kinds of 2 cycle mix but I don't know specifics.

To achieve a JASO FD rating oils have to have a lot of detergents. They run very clean. Use something FD rated and that thing will stay nice and clean.
Thank you. Looks like the Motorex 2t I currently use is FD rated. So the Regane may be overkill, but I like overkill when it comes to preventative maintenance.

Back