2 stroke oil with 5000 ppm sulfur diesel good idea?

Hi,

I have heard that various persons use 2 stroke oil as a fuel additive in diesel engines, to improve lubricity of fuel pump, fuel economy and engine smoothness. Is this a good idea, and if it is would be it good with 5000 ppm sulfur diesel? The car is 1990 corolla 1c diesel indirect mechanical fuel injection.

Thanks

You don't need it.
The 2 cycle oil is used to add lubricity loss due to almost no sulfur in the fuel (15ppm).
At 5000ppm, it has plenty of lubricity.
At least that is the way I understand it.

i read somewhere that sulphur doesnt lubricate much so even if it high sulphur it would be good to use 2 stroke oil.

Here in the US, they started adding 2 stroke oil when the diesel becomes ULSD.
They did not add 2 stroke oil when it was still 500 ppm (LSD).

So, I don't think it will hurt but that is what I read.

Now, some diesel fuel here have BioDiesel added to it now may be 5% to add lubricity.
In this case, the 2 stroke may not be as necessary although it will still help.
Personally, I add 2 stroke (1:256 or 1 oz per 2 gallon of fuel) and some diesel additive (at suggested rate) to make sure that the diesel does not gel under 32F or 0C during winter.

I don't think you don't need to add lubrication. Buy quality fuel and motor on. There are plenty of old diesels out there running on straight diesel fuel.

Just my $0.02

You can always send your fuel out for HFRR testing. By memory (I've provided the actual numbers in the past but this is close) :

Jet-A HFRR 650 (terrible as lower is better) about 3300 PPM S
Jet-A with a normal dose of Stanadyne Lubricity Additive 450 (450 being the upper limit for diesel)
Jet-A with Stanadyne and 200 to 1 Pennzoil marine premium semi-syn TCW-III, HFRR = 255.
Jet-A with Marvel Mystery Oil, 650.

We did not test any other combinations. It's clear that two stroke oil works quite well.

i highly doubt there is hfrr testing in nicaragua. i am using two stroke oil tcw3 as additive in car. i changed the fuel filter recently. here are some pics of the diesel filter cut open:
20210324_155103.jpg

top side of filter where diesel flows in:
20210324_155110.jpg
20210324_155211.jpg
20210324_155224.jpg
20210324_155328.jpg

bottom side where diesel flows out:
20210324_155128.jpg

Just to give you a context of the test.
This test was posted on a forum called DieselPlace.
The test was conducted over 10 years ago when US started to require the use of ULSD (less than 15 ppm) which apparently have very low lubricity as shown in the test as straight diesel.
Before the use ULSD, the US was using LSD (500 ppm).
So, the test was intended to measure the wear before and after using a few different additive.
In summary, IIRC, the 2 stroke oil were the most economical and gave additional lubricity in the ULSD along with BioDiesel (properly processed cleaned).
In the US, a lot of diesel pump added 2% to 10% BioDiesel (B2-B10) to add lubricity into the ULSD to help.
Although BioD is not as popular in the US anymore since the subsidy run out a long time ago.

Back