2-Stroke oil in fuel for Classic cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Cujet
There is no question that adding a bit of oil to gasoline can make certain engines run smoother. Even modern engines.

I don't think I'd do it if I had a catalyst to worry about, so that would tend to exclude modern engines, at least where emissions are tested.

If they aren't I suppose you could ignore or eliminate the catalyst.

Not my thing either. However, oil is simply a hydrocarbon, in very small quantities, it is easily handled by modern catalysts. An oil's additives could be another matter, depending on choice of oil. Marvel Mystery Oil does not seem to harm catalysts, and I do not recall any restrictions for modern vehicles on it's packaging. It might simply be less risky to use MMO if some additional lubricity is desired.

FWIW, TCW-III is a very effective lubricity additive for diesel fuels. Bringing the HFRR numbers of Jet-A from the high 600's all the way down to 255. A huge improvement.

And, modern gasoline does contain traces of oil and other friction modifiers.

Last edited:
I discontinued using TC-w3 in the Honda to see if it was contributing to my oil dilution issue, didn't seem to matter so went right back on a steady diet of 640:1 Honda put our a animated video of this engines cumbustion process, scavanging ect. this oil has to be working especially on the otherwise deposit prone intake valves.

http://hondanews.com/videos/1-5l-turbo-engine-animation

Here is a sample of Pennzoil's XLF TCW3 oil:

Butler Labs
Sampled 8/13/2006

PPM:
copper - 0
iron - 0
chrome - 0
nickel - 1
titanium - 0
vanadium - 0
silver - 0
lead - 0
tin - 0
aluminum - 0
silicon - 2
sodium - 1
potassium - 0
moly - 0
boron - 2
barium - 0
calcium - 14
magnesium - 0
phosphorous - 28
antimony - 0
zinc - 38

SAE Visc. - ??
Visc. cst@100c - ?? (Pennzoil Data sheets say 9.37)

Particle Count per 1ml:
>5u - ?
>10u - ?
>15u - ?
>20u - ?
>25u - ?
>50u - ?
>75u - ?
>100u - ?

ferrous debris - 10
iso code - n/a
particle volume - 0

antifreeze - negative
fuel dilution - negative
water - positive (it was 108 with the heat index and I was sweating profusely, I think I was dripping sweat into the bottle by accident)

Originally Posted By: dblshock

PPM: sodium - 1

I think I was dripping sweat into the bottle by accident)

Probably not
wink.gif

my ATV's were early adopters of this, one has a cam issue at 6k mi. so the mechanic is replacing it and I'll post up pics of the head very soon so we can view the long term effects that 640:1 has on deposits..these machines spend hours creeping through the forest here at low rpm's below 20 mph.

Last edited:
So the question at the beginning of the thread asks about its use in classic cars. I have used 640:1 TCW3 mixed with 93 octane(probably ethanol containing, but who really knows) for my 1970 SS396 and my 1969 Cobra Jet. Both are carbureted and only get driven every couple months. Since using this mix, they have been clearly easier to start and run normally. Maybe the oil helps the old valve seats, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back