2 stroke oil confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i bought a quart of royal purple HP 2C oil and its making me nervous to run it in my saw, because it says it is ash less. but it says boats and all OPE can use it what should i do

I do not see any reason to worry. I believe part of the reason ashless oil is used in outboards is to lessen pollution in water. Ash is non-combustible. Plus it says it can be used in OPE's.

Originally Posted By: Samf333
so i bought a quart of royal purple HP 2C oil and its making me nervous to run it in my saw, because it says it is ash less. but it says boats and all OPE can use it what should i do

As I regularly mention, I was involved 2 stroke oil testing years ago. I'm not at all convinced type of oil makes much difference in wear rates. In our race outboard engines, the wear rate was only affected by oil ratio, not by oil type. And, even then, the ratio needed to be 100 to 1 before additional wear was significant enough to be worth mentioning.

8 to 1 produced the most power, the least carbon and was difficult to deal with.
16 to 1 produced the most power with reasonable operating characteristics.
32 to 1 had the same wear rate as the above.
50 to 1 had slightly more wear (insignificant really) and made less power
100 to 1 made significantly less power, had hard carbon deposits and had a high enough wear rate to be noted as repeatable and consistently worse than using more oil.

I use 32 to 1 in everything.

Another note: TCW-III oil was used by many motocrossers in 125cc bikes, at 24 to 1 with great success. TCW-III is for outboards, not motocross bikes, with 10x the specific output. Yet it worked perfectly.

I'd use the RP oil without worry in your lightly loaded, low stress, lawn and yard equipment. In fact, I'd guess it's a quality oil.

The absolute worst case is that the ashless nature of the oil will result in some carbon buildup, which will likely happen anyway.

I ran Royal Purple 2C in an air cooled Kawasaki Trimmer and snowblower for a couple years with no problems. I moved away from using RP, because of the lack of certification. I wouldn't worry about using it in a saw. If it bothers you I would suggest finding an oil with a certification.

I ran shell nautilus 2t TCW-3 at 40:1 for like 5 tanks in a string trimmer and it almost died from asphalt like goo in cylinder and muffler. Strange. Worked great in the Mercury 75 hp though.
But trimmer is now rejuvenated using 90:1 amsoil after a thorough cleaning...
Obviously some good tcw oils behave badly on land, just can't say why...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back