2 Pounds Above, OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
Originally Posted by geeman789

For comparison purposes, my Mazda 2, which is basically a Mazda version of a Ford Fiesta hatch, specifies 32 Front / 29 rear tire pressure.
Not sure why the Fiesta specs such a high pressure.

Because my Fiesta has alloy wheels and 195/50 R16 tires.
They're low profile tires,unlike any I've ever had on a car before.

A Fiesta weighs roughly 2900 lbs with 2 adults and cargo, and with a weight distribution of about 60 f / 40 r, is putting 870 lbs on each front tire, and only 580 lbs on each rear tire.

As stated earlier, the 195/50/16 tires are rated to carry 1074 lbs at 35 psi. At a much lower 29 psi, they are still rated to carry 981 lbs.

Ford has spec'd a tire pressure that has a safety margin for max load, high speed, hot temperatures, and gives the car a more responsive steering feel, AND gives some room for pressures to drop without it being an immediate safety issue. Because, 1 in 4 cars have at a least one severely under inflated tire ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by geeman789
Over inflated tires do not handle BETTER. There is a point where performance drops off, and the tire starts to feel greasy and actually loses grip.

The TOYO R888 DOT competition tire, for example, recommends a HOT pressure of 32 - 38 psi. That means a cold starting pressure of as low as 25 - 28 psi. This is, however, a VERY STIFF tire.

Quite true, but that tire mentioned above is a barely 'streetable', 100 tread wear, QUICK heat buildup, GUMBALL (albeit some, maybe even including myself in the future, do run them on the street in the summer), which like you've stated has a ROCK HARD side wall, regardless of that model tire's size actual profile/side wall height.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back