2 Pounds Above, OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Are you unable to take them down to the recommended 35 pounds for some particular reason?

Nope. I may keep them at 37 PSI.
Like I said, I don't mind the stiff ride.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
I'm surprised they haven't exploded yet. Best bet is to remove all extra air or risk catastrophic failure and possible death or dismemberment.

That's not even funny and I'd have a hard time taking you seriously about anything after a reply like that.

Originally Posted by painfx
I, myself run at 40 PSI on my tires rated at 51 PSI MAX.

Same here and I've been doing it for six plus years they only difference 4 more MPG city and highway.

When we started our move from Phoenix to Lake Havasu City this past June, I checked and added air to all of our vehicles. For The Jeep and Toyota that was right at 41 PSI cold on the dash. (40 for my truck on my pencil gauge). Now that it's starting to cool off, yesterday I noticed both the Toyota and Jeep were down to 35 and 36 PSI.

So since June, with the cooler weather now coming, and all the back and forth trips, they've lost around 5 PSI in the last 4 months or so. This morning I'll drag out the compressor and pump them up to 41 PSI again. And they should be good to go for the rest of our "Winter" here.

Originally Posted by billt460
When we started our move from Phoenix to Lake Havasu City this past June, I checked and added air to all of our vehicles. For The Jeep and Toyota that was right at 41 PSI cold on the dash. (40 for my truck on my pencil gauge). Now that it's starting to cool off, yesterday I noticed both the Toyota and Jeep were down to 35 and 36 PSI.

So since June, with the cooler weather now coming, and all the back and forth trips, they've lost around 5 PSI in the last 4 months or so. This morning I'll drag out the compressor and pump them up to 41 PSI again. And they should be good to go for the rest of our "Winter" here.

Tires also lose or gain about 1 psi for every 10°F drop or increase in ambient temperature.

I have my Corvette tires set for 37 right now because I am going on a trip in a 2 or 3 weeks. We have a high of 80 degrees today however in 2 weeks it could be snowing like it was last year near LaCrosse Wisconsin and I should be ok on tire pressure. I would rather fill them up now when it's warm instead of doing it in the cold.

Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
…… That's not enough to cause them to wear uneven is it? …..

No. The affect inflation pressure has on evenness of wear is relative small compared to such things as alignment and …. ah …. let's call it "spirited" driving.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Same here and I've been doing it for six plus years they only difference 4 more MPG city and highway.

What does the door sticker recommend for PSI?
How far is 40 PSI over what they recommend it to be?

A few psi is fine but, if you increase the pressure too much, you will loose radials ability to keep the tread flat to the road. You will loose cornering stability. Radials are meant to have flexibility in the sidewall. Ed

30 to 32 so the are 8 PSI over. I get better MPG and good tire wear.

4 MPG difference is quite decent if that is the case. But I run them firm because I like a firm ride.

It doesnt matter what the door jamb says. I do 40 PSI on all my cars.

So you think my 195/50 R16s on my little Ford Fiesta would run well with 40 PSI?

As it is now it gets about 30 MPG around town and over 40 MPGs on the highway.

30 to 32 so the are 8 PSI over. I get better MPG and good tire wear.

That's interesting. I may try running about 40 PSI myself.

I put a set of 4 new Nankang NS20s 195/50 R16 85V tires on my 2016 Ford Fiesta SE. It rides nice, perhaps a bit hard. They put 37 PSI in them which is 2 pounds over the recommendation on the door frame sticker. That's not enough to cause them to wear uneven is it?
I don't mind the hard ride. They feel pretty good.

You won't find out until you get some miles on them, to see how it wears.

So you think my 195/50 R16s on my little Ford Fiesta would run well with 40 PSI?

Your little Fiesta will run STIFF at 40 psi ... the tires are the first level of bump absorption in your suspension. You will feel every little crack ... and possibly wear the tires in the centre of the tread a little more.

For comparison purposes, my Mazda 2, which is basically a Mazda version of a Ford Fiesta hatch, specifies 32 Front / 29 rear tire pressure. Not sure why the Fiesta specs such a high pressure.

Originally Posted by geeman789

Your little Fiesta will run STIFF at 40 psi ... the tires are the first level of bump absorption in your suspension. You will feel every little crack ... and possibly wear the tires in the centre of the tread a little more.

For comparison purposes, my Mazda 2, which is basically a Mazda version of a Ford Fiesta hatch, specifies 32 Front / 29 rear tire pressure. Not sure why the Fiesta specs such a high pressure.

The ST version of his car runs 39 front/36 rear by the door jamb sticker (with a 205/40-17 on a 17x7), even though I run my aftermarket 215/40-17s on 17x8s at 42F/39R, and my winter/rally working setup (195/60-15s on 15x7s) at 48F/45R, and they are STILL really 'cushy' to me at those pressures, and that with a MUCH more firm/over-damped factory suspension than Mr_Luke's base car.
wink.gif

(I'd much rather wear the centers a bit more on the winters, especially when I have to drive them on the roads/highways in the summer getting to the rallies, than kill/'chunk' the edges, and shoulder blocks, which are what actually helps the car turn and bite into gravel on stage road bends/twists.
19.gif
)

Over inflated tires do not handle BETTER. There is a point where performance drops off, and the tire starts to feel greasy and actually loses grip.

More air pressure can make a tire FEEL more responsive to steering inputs, but that doesn't mean more absolute grip. Some very stiff high performance tires actually work better at lower pressures on light weight cars.

The TOYO R888 DOT competition tire, for example, recommends a HOT pressure of 32 - 38 psi. That means a cold starting pressure of as low as 25 - 28 psi. This is, however, a VERY STIFF tire.

Originally Posted by geeman789

For comparison purposes, my Mazda 2, which is basically a Mazda version of a Ford Fiesta hatch, specifies 32 Front / 29 rear tire pressure.
Not sure why the Fiesta specs such a high pressure.

Because my Fiesta has alloy wheels and 195/50 R16 tires.
They're low profile tires,unlike any I've ever had on a car before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back