2 different sized filters, both correct, vastly different results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil on my Elantra for the first time. The Ford dealer I purchased it from claims to have used Motorcraft 5W-20 (which I know is a great oil) and a Motorcraft filter. I just hit 75k and that oil was in for ~3,250 miles, so I decided to change it. Well, I get under there and find a "TecSelect" T4612. I purchased a WIX 51334. Uh... these are two totally different sizes. The WIX is much larger in diameter. After triple checking, I decided I had the correct filter, and after some research the T4612 was somehow also correct (I think?). Well, now it explains why the dealer overfilled it by 1/4-1/3 of a quart
mad.gif
(I checked before buying, and ended up draining it myself the same day I bought it). Also worth noting, the entire OCI the engine sounded like complete
37.gif
when cold, and would try to accelerate/torque up small hills at re-apply the gas and kick it into the proper gear otherwise it would eventually downshift 2 gears and rev up to ~3800rpm unnecessarily. I chalked it up to owning V8s my whole life and this is how newer 4 cylinder cars are. I constantly yelled at it saying "you don't have more torque just because you shack up next to a V8."

Well, in goes M1 AP 5W-20 (thanks VatoZone!) and the WIX and....
laugh.gif
SILENCE! No more valvetrain noise, no more racket when cold, and even more strange... no more lugging up hills with low rpms. Even the gf said there was a big difference, so it's not just my imagination.

Can a filter really make that much difference? Was the TecSelect really that bad? Was it even the correct filter (does it restrict flow, have the same bypass settings, etc.)? I've heard of, but just never seen such a drastic change by a filter. I'm happy the engine is happy now, but now I'm wondering if any harm was done by using that filter. I'm really interested in what everyone's thoughts are.

I'm pretty sure that 12 and up Hyundai and Kia are recommending an OEM filter.
There have been oil pressure issues and the 4612s in many cases do not do well if this happens.
I was buying the OEM for a while but have recently found a Prime Guard 4461 that is manufactured
by the OEM in Korea.
I'm not how or if this would impact performance.

Oil change places, independent garages, etc don't look at the specs on an oil filter beyond (2) values: bolt thread and o-ring diameter(s). If those match, "it fits".

Whoever did the prior OC used a downsized/consolidated shorty 14612/6607 size filter. In this case it's two sizes down completely skipping the 7317/14610 size. It's now common practice at quick lubes and some indies. And while not the spec size filter (9688/3593a/51334), for them it is the "correct filter" application. Seen similar consolidated/downsized jobber tier dissection anecdotes posted here before. Iirc on a Hyundai application.

I highly doubt the filter itself did any damage. And too many uncontrolled variables, including new filter, new and different oil, to definitely say filter responsible for prior to OC anecdotal observations. Also 1/4-1/3 quart overfill, unlikely to hurt anything.

Yep. Best thing you can do is keep a ph9688 equivalent or a Kia/Hyundai 504 filter on there. The 9688 was made specifically for Kia and Hyundai, with a thicker can and better gasket retention due to the oil pressure spiking that some Hyundai engines can produce. The 3593A used to be the specified filter, but there was apparently a need for revision. They don't do such things for no good reason. Good luck!

My wife took our daughter's Impreza to some cheapo place for an oil change and I got a text from the DD soon after that she had a hard time starting it after school. I was going to her game that afternoon anyway, so I made sure the oil level was OK while I was there. I also started the car quickly and it was fine, but it was also still warm from my daughter driving it over to the field.
Once we got home, I was looking around under the hood and noticed the oil filter was some noname thing that looked smaller than the filters I usually used. I had some filters for my Forester handy and they are easy to change for both of our cars as they are top mounts, so I replaced it with one of mine (think it was a Mazda branded Tokyo Roki that seemed to match the Subaru ones that come on cars from Japan). I got a little help on here and figured out that the noname filter didn't have an ADBV.
My daughter never mentioned anything about hard starts again...my guess was that the lack of an ADBV made starts a little harder than she was used to, but I sure can't prove that.

The WIX 51334 or NAPA Gold 1334 are fine filters for your Hyundai. I am moving over to those filters in both of my vehicles. By the way, the Motorcraft Synthetic blend is a good oil for your Hyundai.

Last edited:
My experience is the switch from Hyundai OEM filter to Fram Ultra for my 2018 Elantra Sport TGDI. Just had a oil change recently with the same new formula PP 5W30 but switch to the Fram Ultra filter.
It's smoother and quieter. Even shorter the warm up time during the cold start in the morning and outside parking lot below 0C. Well, actually the Fram Ultra is a little more expensive than the Hyundai OEM one.
So see how's going before next oil change.

I own/operate quick lube.
As stated above, I took the Hyundai/Kia issue to heart and paid quite a bit more for the OEM filters
because I knew there was an issue. No xtra charge to my customer. I now buy the same OEM filter for less
but still more expensive than the 4612/4610.
I'm certain there are "Oil change places" that don't give a [censored], but not all can be bunched into your generalization.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Oil change places, independent garages, etc don't look at the specs on an oil filter beyond (2) values: bolt thread and o-ring diameter(s). If those match, "it fits".

Originally Posted by Ursatdx
I own/operate quick lube.
As stated above, I took the Hyundai/Kia issue to heart and paid quite a bit more for the OEM filters
because I knew there was an issue. No xtra charge to my customer. I now buy the same OEM filter for less
but still more expensive than the 4612/4610.
I'm certain there are "Oil change places" that don't give a [censored], but not all can be bunched into your generalization.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

A few years of Elantra 1.8s have recurrent troubles with noise from non-OE filters.

I have found that OE Hyundai/Kia, Valvoline, and Autopart International filters for these engines (Nu 1.8) are all identical, in different boxes. Not sure who makes them.

Last edited:
I have a '14 Tacoma and '93 Yota 4x4 pickup. Both OEM Toyota filters are different, the one for the Taco is longer but same size thread and same diameter filter. When I bought a WIX filter for the Yota, it also was cross-referenced for the Taco though it was about an inch shorter than the OEM for the Taco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back