2 cycle oil in my Jeep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 10 gallons of 2 cycle outboard oil that I don't think I'll be using. I've heard of people using this in cars before, but usually just to dispose of it. I don't have a problem disposing of it, but would it be beneficial to use it in my 4.0 liter Jeep Cherokee? Better gas mileage? How much do you recommend I use per gallon?

Edit: Jeep is fuel injected and has a cat.
smile.gif

[ October 29, 2003, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: ZmOz ]

Hummm...you could drain your crankcase, and run the Jeep on 50:1 premix. (Just kidding!) I am no expert, but I would not use 2-cycle oil in an automotive application. They are designed to totally different applications. Until oil gets to $10 a quart, there is no need to try to use it up. Can you give it to a friend/neighbor?

I'll usually dump the leftover 2 cycle boat gas premix into my truck if I have any that's getting about 6 months old. But it is never more than about 3-4 gallons and the truck has a 34 gallon tank. I fill up the tank in the truck right after I put the old gas in. Have never had a problem. Definitely don't put it all in at once. A couple gallons at a time will be ok. FWIW, I use Amsoil 100:1 premix, and with 3 gallons of leftover premix that's about 4 ounces of oil for 34 gallons of gas once I put it in my truck. Don't think that small ammount of oil could possibly hurt anything.
cheers.gif

you have 10 gallons of pre-mixed gas or 10 gallons of 2 stroke oil? I have dumped a ton of pre-mixed gas into various trucks I have owned, heck years ago we made it home on 40:1 Bel-Ray MC-1 after running out in the truck, a little smokey but no later problems. If you keep the mix under 10:1 you won't know it's there. If it's 10 gallons of oil, I'd find someone to give it to.

quote:

Originally posted by Kompressor:
you have 10 gallons of pre-mixed gas or 10 gallons of 2 stroke oil? I have dumped a ton of pre-mixed gas into various trucks I have owned, heck years ago we made it home on 40:1 Bel-Ray MC-1 after running out in the truck, a little smokey but no later problems. If you keep the mix under 10:1 you won't know it's there. If it's 10 gallons of oil, I'd find someone to give it to.

Seems like I end up doing this every spring. Dump last years 92 octane + MC-1 48-1 premix into our Nissan and run it. So far so good...
wink.gif

make sure pour some in your lawn mower for the winter.

It woudn't hurt putting a gallon or so per tank until it's all gone. I woudln't want to put too much though.

IF it is 10 gallons of premix oil IN gas, I would dump in some good octane boost such as xylene (1 gallon should do) then pour this brew in your tank a few gallons per "phillup".

Your jeep will run like a champ on this mix.

I always would use the left over mixed gas in the truck so as not to carry gas for the saw around but it was only a gallon or two to 25-45 gallons in the 'burb. But I would never use just the oil in the engine or dump it into the fuel. Not worth the risk to the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back