2 choices 03-05 GM 3.8 V6 or Ford/Linc/Merc 4.6 V8?

Both are very durable engines. IMO your choices should be more about whether you want a front or rear wheel drive car (FWD will be better in the snow), and the condition of the car in question. If it matters to you, the 3800 will get better gas mileage (about 4-5 mpg better).

Last edited:
The luck of the draw and how well the respective engines were maintained. BITOG has enough I bought an engine that I just found was sludged up how do I clean the sludge out of after the firts oil change I foud out is used oilby the gallon and how do I fix it.

I’m more of a Ford guy but both are really good. As long as the vehicle and engine have been taken care of it will last a long time.

I didn't mean to offend you, But the 3800 is just as proven....If not more so as they were around before Modular engines.
Using the Livery/Taxi/Patrol car metric is a little convoluted as GM stopped making the B/D-Body after 1996....Basically giving that market to Ford.
No problem. :)
Did the Chevy V6 stop using HEI in the latter years of production?

I've owned both, over many miles and multiple vehicles.

They're both good.

If someone held a gun to my head and told me to pick one, I'd pick the 3800.

-My 3800 vehicles were just as quick as the 4.6 ones, but got better mileage.
- The 3800 vehicles had the classic intake manifold leaks. My 4.6 ones also had intake leaks, in addition to exhaust manifold leaks, one spitting a spark plug, and one blowing a head gasket and/or cracking a head. I replaced the engine rather than repaired it, so I'll never know what exactly happened.

^^^Just based on MY experiences.

I have not owned a 4.6 but I have friends who have and they tend to be rock solid. I have had a bunch of 3800 cars. 3 of them supercharged. Were always good to me. I did do the intake gasket on most of them, a steering rack on one, and a transmission on the 01 GTP, but It had lots of stuff done to it, so I suspect that helped the failure out. At this point it is all about condition with what you are looking for, but I really like an S/C 3800. Buy the one that is in the best shape.

I was a tech in a fleet for ten years and during that time we had both engines in our fleet. Both are great, however I don’t think I ever had to do any real repairs to the Ford 4.6 except maybe a delta pressure differential sensor (piece of cake EGR repair).

As for the GM 3.8 - very few repairs but I did have the occasional coolant leak, intake gasket and crank sensor. Plugs were a bit of a pain to change if I remember.

Back