2 choices 03-05 GM 3.8 V6 or Ford/Linc/Merc 4.6 V8?

Hello there,

I'm looking at some larger sedans in the 2003-2005 range with anywhere from 90-120k miles. Some of the sedans have the GM 3.8L V6, while others have the 4.6 V8 from Ford. In your opinion which is better in terms of longevity? I perform regular maintenance and always use full synthetic.

Thank you!

Both the GM 3800 V6 and the Ford 4.6 V8 will run basically forever. Just keep up with the maintenance and any repairs that may be needed from time to time. Depending how long you plan on keeping the car I would budget for a transmission rebuild.

Sorry for being too general. I'm not an expert by any means, but what should I look for when I test drive these cars?

on that age of vehicle the car condition is more important.. and your inquery is so generalized you wont get anything but the most generic of answers.
My bad, 1st time here.. I don't know a whole lot about cars or what to ask specifically, but I'll keep trying to learn.

The 4.6 all day long. (y)
You're only saying that because you're a "Ford" guy, The Series III 3800 is every bit as reliable as a Modular 4.6L while getting slightly better fuel economy.
Total Cost Of Ownership of the engine itself could swing either way.....If the 4.6L needed 8 coils, Plugs, & Both Upstream O2 Sensors, The 3800 would have the clear advantage!

The 3800 only has one Catalytic Converter vs At least 2 on the 4.6L.

Try to be more objective & less brand loyal......

You're only saying that because you're a "Ford" guy, The Series III 3800 is every bit as reliable as a Modular 4.6L while getting slightly better fuel economy.
Total Cost Of Ownership of the engine itself could swing either way.....If the 4.6L needed 8 coils, Plugs, & Both Upstream O2 Sensors, The 3800 would have the clear advantage!

WRONG!
I have Chevy Orange running thru my veins! I only drive a Ford truck because in 07 l wanted a GMC but l didn't like the front ends. And, Chevy front ends that year made me very sick to my stomach!
I have had BOO KOO Chevy hot rods and hot rod trucks
I have only had 1 Ford hot rod truck. I have built well over 30 SBC engines.
So, before making false accusations, get your proof 1st!
I said the 4.6 because it is a VERY WELL PROVEN engine. Cop cars, taxis. Ambulances. Besides the straight six, IMHO, the 4.6 is one if the best (Top 3) engines Ford has EVER built!

Both engines are bulletproof, especially if the 3.8L is a Series II. Great engines and pretty easy to work on.

That said, I second Clinebarger's comment on the transaxle.

I didn't mean to offend you, But the 3800 is just as proven....If not more so as they were around before Modular engines.
Using the Livery/Taxi/Patrol car metric is a little convoluted as GM stopped making the B/D-Body after 1996....Basically giving that market to Ford.

The answer is that both engines rank among the longest lasting engines put out by either manufacturer. And I say that as generally a Ford guy.

Decide which brands "quirks" you would rather deal with, and shop based on condition. Reality is it may come down to which platform you are buying into and whether it suits you or not...

Had a 3.8 in the family that was nearing 250,00 miles on it - and it still ran well. The car around it was falling apart, but the engine wasn't missing a beat...

Both engines are bulletproof, especially if the 3.8L is a Series II. Great engines and pretty easy to work on.

That said, I second Clinebarger's comment on the transaxle.
On the Series II they had intake manifold gaskets/plenum/EGR stovepipe burn-through issues which I believe were corrected on the Series III. If purchasing a 3800 Series II car I would make sure that has been addressed (or take care of it right away). I know there is also an issue on some 3800s (not sure of the years) of plastic coolant elbows failing.

Still an excellent engine. My parents have had four Buicks with 3800s over the years and they have been great.

Andrew S.

Both are reliable engines, Though I'd take a Ford 4R70W over a GM 4T65E any day of the week!! Unless receipts are given to prove the 4T65E is pretty fresh with a TransGo shift kit.
I haven't heard of this until now. I'm gonna check it out, I may put one in myself. The YouTube videos make it look doable.

On the Series II they had intake manifold gaskets/plenum/EGR stovepipe burn-through issues which I believe were corrected on the Series III. If purchasing a 3800 Series II car I would make sure that has been addressed (or take care of it right away). I know there is also an issue on some 3800s (not sure of the years) of plastic coolant elbows failing.

Still an excellent engine. My parents have had four Buicks with 3800s over the years and they have been great.

Andrew S.
Absolutely! I missed an "I" at the end of "Series" :LOL:

Andrew S.
Probably very rare to see any series 2 engines around anymore with the stock intake manifold and lower intake gaskets anymore, so that likely isn't an issue.
Both engines are very good but I give a slight edge to the 3.8 as far as durability goes. I believe the 4.6 was over engineered, making it more prone to annoying problems. The transmissions used with those engines, I would say the edge definitely goes to Ford.

Last edited:

Yep … During a 7 year period that I drove company cars with the 4.6L … we owned personal cars with the 3800 … zero issues with either …

Back