2 bubbles in 2 days on the same tire, Falken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I hit 2 potholes in 2 days, bending the rim twice. My Falkens bubbled larger than any bubble I've ever seen. Oh, well. Did I mention that I'm off of Falkens forever?

You might want to leave enough space ahead of you to spot the holes? I run 155s and can hit holes 2 layers of asphalt deep and half the time I don't feel them.

Cheers, Steve

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
Ok, I hit 2 potholes in 2 days, bending the rim twice. My Falkens bubbled larger than any bubble I've ever seen. Oh, well. Did I mention that I'm off of Falkens forever?

You hit something so what do you expect? Its not the brand of the tire its how you damage the tire that matters.

Bummer nevertheless....

Its not the tires... when you bend the rim, thats what happens. Quit blaming the tires. We have 20K on our set on the Avalon.. its heavier than your audi, especially in the front. Nothing has happened. No bubbles, no deforming, no poor wear, no nothing. Houston has some of the worst potholes you'll ever see. My mom hits them all.

I thought you "returned my sucky Falken Ziex ZE-512s" and bought Bridgestone Potenza G009s?

This WAS another set on my woman's CGT. I DO blame the Falkens, I've hit similar holes before w/o bubbles. Have not actually seen another bubble in 8/10 years...maybe 50 tires since but I get 2 bubbles in 2 days? It's hard to see the potholes when the pavment is cracked anyway and light conditions are brightly lit tree branches that cast a camoflage pattern. Not every pothole is 2 layers/6 inches deep, so should I swerve like a nut everytime the pavment is less then perfect? I'm going back to Dunlop A2s for all my cars, musta had 2 dozen already and they work great.

I feel both Goodyear and Goodrich have welched on their warrenty by claiming the bubble on the sidewall was non covered road hazard. Neither are on my list of possible buys.

What's the size/profile and were all those A2s the same size? I've heard that Falkens don't wear that well but I doubt any tire would have saved the rim. What pressures? When I got a set of summer wheels and tires I decided to not go below 225/50 just for that reason. On northern streets there's nothing you can do to protect your wheel/tires except keep enough space between the road and the rim. Many people in Chicago bend their OEM rims because the car gets delivered with unreasonably low profile tires for the application.

I also have bent a rim with the 512s. Part of their draw is that along with their grip and ride, is that they're also on average 2lbs lighter than similar sized tires. But I think that lack of lbs = reduction in sidewall strength and protection = easier to bend a rim. Cost me $150 for another ATS Comp Lite wheel. There go my tire savings...

It's a soft sided performance tire with rim protection. Run a higher pressure to take the slop out of the sidewalls and they'll still ride as nice and protect better than any tire without a rim gaurd. There's extra rubber near the rim to protect from curbs but it also helps a bit in potholes.

It's a real bad design on the part of Falken on the Ze-512s. The sidewalls are as soft as a set of mountain bike tires'. I got rid of my set after only 3000 miles cause I coun't stand the squirminess. There was no feedback, just a slushy feel on both axles. I'd only put Falken 512s on granny cars that won't get driven faster than 40 mph.

quote:

Originally posted by goodvibes:
... Many people in Chicago bend their OEM rims because the car gets delivered with unreasonably low profile tires for the application.

In Detroit I got so tired of running to the salvage yard every time I bent a rim that I started buying them two at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back