2,700 miles,6 months,change oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Change in now, it's a good schedule to be on for short trippers. Clean oil goes in now (November) thru the worst months (winter) and in 5 or 6 months change it again to get rid of it for summer.

My trips to work are even less and in the winter I always let it run in the morning so it's starting to blow heat by the time I get in so it idles a lot. Short trips, lots of idle time = fuel dilution.

The usual responses. Some say keep it, some say change it. Your 20 year old Buick doesn't care either way so why not let it ride a year? Even if you had massive fuel dilution (which you won't) 1 year and 6000 mile change isn't going to hurt it one bit.

Change it, you know you want to!
11.gif

New filter also.

Looking yes I do,I got that itch.....but decided,too add at least, 3_400 more miles,so it's oficially, 3,000 mi!es,so it's not a comp!she waste. I looked at dipstick today,an hour after shutdown,dark brown,just turn it black.it's still got some life left.I could prob do, the 300 milrs, by end of this month.
Now!the million dollar question...I plan ed on 15 year old quarts of chevron dino, 5w30, I found at a gas station then, and I have quarts auto zone,3_4 years ago,clearance, Quaker state synthetic i bought,,for like over $3.each...5 and 10w 30. Chevron or Quaker state! Plan on using a carques t blue filter,or percolator one,a good one i found in advance auto 6 months ago..I know about this the risk of tears.
This is for winter. Every car i ever had,ever, here,stamford, morning temps january,february,are usually around 7_13 degrees F. Every dino i ever U.S.d, 5w30,start up ,engine would start my day vio l entry it seems,and you can tell,out took like 5_7 seconds for oil too start lubricationg,you could hear,the pristine noise,minus oil.synrhetuc,never really did that too me. Only dino oils.
Gotta itch use up thechevron...but I know,the Quaker state synthetic makes much faster startup,.

Also!it's always said,when oil turns brown,the oil filter media is nearing capacity.when it's black,the filter media is full and no longer filtering.mine is approaching dark brown...carques t red,2700 miles,tons of stop n go.literally

Originally Posted by ziggy
Also!it's always said,when oil turns brown,the oil filter media is nearing capacity.when it's black,the filter media is full and no longer filtering.mine is approaching dark brown...carques t red,2700 miles,tons of stop n go.literally

Who always said that? If they are saying that, they are wrong.

Oil changing color means nothing. Some oils turn colors faster than others. Doesn't mean much other than different formulas change colors at a different rate.

Just use up the oil and filters you have. Once a year change them. The oil isn't expired, the filters are fine. Have you had this car a while? Why start worrying 20 years in? [censored], you've been on this board for 13 years with over 1,000 posts.

Last edited:
At the rate you are accumulation miles on your car, by Spring you will be around 5,000+ miles. Change out your oil and filter then. Your engine will be good to go until then.

Originally Posted by ziggy
Hi all! Have a 98 Buick lesabre.given it she'll gas,sometimes 93,for the detergency. I have a stash of dino oil,I bought on clearance,back of n 2004 era,walmart, texaco 5w30! Used a carques t red filter,6 months ago.2700 miles,very short trips,stop n go traffic.4 miles work,and back. Found some chevron 5w30 dino,unopened,and bought a carques t blue filter...eager to do an oil change.but....think I should go an extra month or 2? Get it up too 3000? Or dump it? Car book says, 3 months or 3000 miles,if under 3000 mile service,sever duty driving,change oil frequently... What should,I do...

And you've been here since 2005? Dude, do a UOA and leave it in; then you will know how long you can use it. I had several vehicles that were 3000/6000 miles and took them to well over 10,000 with UOAs.

I agree with doing a UOA as long as you're using the same oil change after change but the OP is some what unique here. First he has some Texaco dino from 2004 in there now, his next change is going to be with some 15 year old Chevron dino and assuming this will use up his old stash (hopefully) then his next OC after that will be with some new oil.

I wouldn't trust the UOA from his current fill to cover the next two changes so I wouldn't worry about a UOA until I could start using the same oil for each change.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
I agree with doing a UOA as long as you're using the same oil change after change but the OP is some what unique here. First he has some Texaco dino from 2004 in there now, his next change is going to be with some 15 year old Chevron dino and assuming this will use up his old stash (hopefully) then his next OC after that will be with some new oil.

I wouldn't trust the UOA from his current fill to cover the next two changes so I wouldn't worry about a UOA until I could start using the same oil for each change.

Agreed - however if you are using a better quality oil in the subsequent intervals it will go at least as far as the inferior oil.

2700 miles or 270 miles. Change it at six months if you want to. It's overkill and a waste of natural resources but it's not going to cause the seven vials to pour forth and bring on the end times. Go for it cowboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back