2.7 ecoboost M1 5w-30 synthetic

Not all that bad. I wouldn't use the standard m1 5w-30 since its overpriced at $27. But id use api sp PP euro 0w-40 or Valvoline extended protection because of its high moly content. Order either on wm.com for best pricing. i don't know if the 2.7 has dual injection.
The later model have dual injection . the 2015's don't.

The later model have dual injection . the 2015's don't.
Yes i know that they did introduce it in the 2018 model year but i cant see a year on here and his truck isn't too low mileage to not possibly be a pre dual injection one. If it had 20k then it would have to be a very recent one. But near 40k it could be a 2017.

I think the High Mileage variety has seal swellers and the EP does not. .02

That’s why I want it, lol. Well, after I learned that there is a spec that the oil has to pass so as to not modify the seals too far. It’s all controlled apparently.

I thought "Hi Mileage " oils, said to be for over 75,000 miles, had additional seal swelling additives.

I thought "Hi Mileage " oils, said to be for over 75,000 miles, had additional seal swelling additives.
That’s the hearsay but it passes spec for my engine so I like the idea of my seals being maintained from day 1.

It’s also thicker weight.

Not all that bad. I wouldn't use the standard m1 5w-30 since its overpriced at $27. But id use api sp PP euro 0w-40 or Valvoline extended protection because of its high moly content. Order either on wm.com for best pricing. i don't know if the 2.7 has dual injection.

Gen 1 15-17 - No
Gen 2 18+ - Yes

The Gen 1 2.7EB has been one of Fords better designs. It has had very few issues. One of the guys that run expedited machine parts to plants to avoid shutdowns had 400,000+ miles on all original lubricated parts including turbos on 10,000 mi oci using MC Blend last I heard. He has never needed a valve cleaning to the best of my knowledge.

Hopefully the Gen 2 will be just as trouble free.

Gen 1 15-17 - No
Gen 2 18+ - Yes

The Gen 1 2.7EB has been one of Fords better designs. It has had very few issues. One of the guys that run expedited machine parts to plants to avoid shutdowns had 400,000+ miles on all original lubricated parts including turbos on 10,000 mi oci using MC Blend last I heard. He has never needed a valve cleaning to the best of my knowledge.

Hopefully the Gen 2 will be just as trouble free.
I had a long running thread about his truck on one of the F150 forums. https://www.f150forum.com/f118/465-000-mile-2-7-a-389552/ (a moderator changed the threads name after Pat traded. It was the "100,000 mile 2.7" since he did that distance in about it's first year......) Pat sold his 2.7 about 6-8 months ago. The truck developed some sort of transmission issue and at 465,000 miles he (his wife) decided it was time to bail. He's not brand loyal, so he's now driving a Dodge....... He replaced a throttle body and some sort of sensor during the 2.7's time with him. I bought my 2016 2.7 partly because of the good fuel mileage he'd been seeing. At 87,000 miles mine is showing 21.1 lifetime.

Valve's needing cleaning on either the 3.5 or the 2.7 F150 Ecoboost's is not an issue. I'm on the major F150 sites regularly and have YET to see a thread where that was needed. Talked about, yes. "old wives tale" comes to mind.

Last edited:
I had a long running thread about his truck on one of the F150 forums. https://www.f150forum.com/f118/465-000-mile-2-7-a-389552/ (a moderator changed the threads name after Pat traded. It was the "100,000 mile 2.7" since he did that distance in about it's first year......) Pat sold his 2.7 about 6-8 months ago. The truck developed some sort of transmission issue and at 465,000 miles he (his wife) decided it was time to bail. He's not brand loyal, so he's now driving a Dodge....... He replaced a throttle body and some sort of sensor during the 2.7's time with him. I bought my 2016 2.7 partly because of the good fuel mileage he'd been seeing. At 87,000 miles mine is showing 21.1 lifetime.

Valve's needing cleaning on either the 3.5 or the 2.7 F150 Ecoboost's is not an issue. I'm on the major F150 sites regularly and have YET to see a thread where that was needed. Talked about, yes. "old wives tale" comes to mind.

The later 6R80 have been fairly tough in my experiemce. The only thing that has been a recurring issue on cars at double to triple stock horsepower is they need an occasional pump. The jury is still out on the 10R80.

I'm not particularly brand loyal either. I've had Chevy, Mazda, Dodge, Ram and Ford Trucks. Haven't any of them been particularly troublesome. Some have had defects, but all were easily rectified by a tech that could add 2+2 and get 4. Not sure why that's becoming so rare.

Last edited:
Back