2.7 ecoboost M1 5w-30 synthetic

Hi Guys,

For fun, here is used oil analysis from my 2.7 ecoboost which includes a small fraction towing at ~13k lbs GCW.

Unfortunetly, I can't remember which variety of M1 5w-30 full synthetic that I used. I typically use high mileage extended performance, but this might have been regular or just extended performance. Thoughts?

The blackstone rep said that based off the additive package, he thought it was likely regular full synthetic.
Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 6.50.52 PM.jpg

Let that oil sit for a week and look at what's at the bottom of the container when you pour it out .
If the bottom is clean , great ! If it's all carbon on the bottom , bad for the chains and everything else . Towing and all I personally think it's too many miles .

Thanks guys, I’m just doing one of these as a set it and forget it check. I’ll probably just stick with 7500 miles and M1 5w-30 full synthetic (of any flavor/variant) so long as it meets Fords spec. That’ll be good enough.

Glad it turned out well! I like this 2.7 so far.

Wear rates are decent and right in line with normal expectations.
If 7.5k miles is your limit, there are some other decent lubes that would meet the Ford spec and still save you a bit of money.

What is your mix of highway/city? Or better yet, what is your mix of longer trips to shorter trips? I am starting to believe the fuel dilution issues with these engines (I have one) is mostly due to short trips, especially when colder outside. My report on RGT with about a third as many miles on the oil had a 100C viscosity of around 9.1, but I generally only drive short trips, less than 15 minutes.

Let that oil sit for a week and look at what's at the bottom of the container when you pour it out .
If the bottom is clean , great ! If it's all carbon on the bottom , bad for the chains and everything else . Towing and all I personally think it's too many miles .
Or…order a particle count?

Hi Guys,

For fun, here is used oil analysis from my 2.7 ecoboost which includes a small fraction towing at ~13k lbs GCW.

Unfortunetly, I can't remember which variety of M1 5w-30 full synthetic that I used. I typically use high mileage extended performance, but this might have been regular or just extended performance. Thoughts?

The blackstone rep said that based off the additive package, he thought it was likely regular full synthetic.
View attachment 84200
Looks good. Extended Performance is a different product than High Mileage. I think you want the M1 Extended Performance oil.

Just me, I'd be using the EP and not going past 7k with a new filter as well. Love that engine. I'm very happy with my 15 5.0 but if picking today, 2.7EB would be my choice.

Just me, I'd be using the EP and not going past 7k with a new filter as well. Love that engine. I'm very happy with my 15 5.0 but if picking today, 2.7EB would be my choice.

My thoughts exactly! I love my 5.0, but the new trucks added cylinder deactivation and combined with the recent oil consumption issues, I would get the 2.7L.

Not all that bad. I wouldn't use the standard m1 5w-30 since its overpriced at $27. But id use api sp PP euro 0w-40 or Valvoline extended protection because of its high moly content. Order either on wm.com for best pricing. i don't know if the 2.7 has dual injection.

Back