2,500 mile road trip, which oil and why? (Pictures)

Heading to Florida to visit family. Planning to change the oil in my Elantra before heading out. Have these in my stash and debating on which one to use for the trip. The ones on the left are older obviously and I am trying to use up some of the stuff that has been on the shelf for a while. Which would you choose? And what is your reasoning for your choice?

The QSUD is API SM, the M1 AFE is also SM. The M1 5w20 is SN as well as the modern engine.
EDIT: to add this info

Attachments

• 5C9047BB-A262-4DBF-9291-BCB12EF2CEFD.jpeg
    5C9047BB-A262-4DBF-9291-BCB12EF2CEFD.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 3FAA55A0-B4E4-46C8-9FD6-0B2E82EF5434.jpeg
    3FAA55A0-B4E4-46C8-9FD6-0B2E82EF5434.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Moved my wife's Accent to 5w30 from 0w 5w20 oils .
What prompted the move for me was
1. concern of wear on the cam that runs the high pressure fuel pump.
2. fuel dilution .
So far the only thing i can tell is the engine is quieter on the 5w30 .

i'm doing the same trip in a week, except my starting point is lake mistassini area canada. 4024 miles round trip. on pennzoil ultra 5w30. my car will be fine. and yours too.

Moved my wife's Accent to 5w30 from 0w 5w20 oils .
What prompted the move for me was
1. concern of wear on the cam that runs the high pressure fuel pump.
2. fuel dilution .
So far the only thing i can tell is the engine is quieter on the 5w30 .
That is what I have been running in this car as well since I got it about 25k ago, 5w30. I will admit it seems happier on cold starts in the winter with 5w20. So I think I may go back and forth with the seasons on viscosity, I feel better about having 5w30 in there in the summer. I figured the 0w20/5w20 would be good for the rest of the winter after I get back from sunny Florida.

Mine doesn't have a high pressure fuel pump or anything like fuel dilution to worry about though. These are the tough early 80s based engines, basically an antique with VVT and MPI.

That is what I have been running in this car as well since I got it about 25k ago, 5w30. I will admit it seems happier on cold starts in the winter with 5w20. So I think I may go back and forth with the seasons on viscosity, I feel better about having 5w30 in there in the summer. I figured the 0w20/5w20 would be good for the rest of the winter after I get back from sunny Florida.

Mine doesn't have a high pressure fuel pump or anything like fuel dilution to worry about though. These are the tough early 80s based engines, basically an antique with VVT and MPI.
we had a 2006 spectra with the 2 litre engine ,one of the most reliable 4 cylinders we have had .
we ran 5w20 and 5w30 in it when it was really hot in the summer and after a few hours on the road it was noticeably more quiet at idle with the 30 weight.
I would buy and hyundai /Kia in a heart beat if the still produced that engine.

How old is that stuff? I haven't seen a clear bottle Quaker State product since the Clinton administration.

Bring a bottle of coolant and 2 bottles of engine oil and check tire pressure & spare tire. If your car has USB outlet, bring a USB cable to your charge cellphone, if not, buy USB that plugs in to a cigarette lighter outlet for less than $10. Oh, before a I forget a flashlight

Last edited:
we had a 2006 spectra with the 2 litre engine ,one of the most reliable 4 cylinders we have had .
we ran 5w20 and 5w30 in it when it was really hot in the summer and after a few hours on the road it was noticeably more quiet at idle with the 30 weight.
I would buy and hyundai /Kia in a heart beat if the still produced that engine.
Yeah, the engine is why I bought it in the first place. A friend of mine had one and is VERY rough on his cars. His Elantra took a beating and kept on going. It was even running fine when he sold it.
This was a little old lady car, original owner, low miles (54k) when I bought it with all maintenance receipts. It honestly looked and smelled brand new, even the undercarriage and engine block were shiny. I had to buy it. I wasn't even looking to buy a car but couldn't pass this one up.

Back