1W-29 Frankenstein Oil

I'll give on the winter rating of my cocktail maybe not coming out at 1w for possible basestock winter addatives conflicts.

But so far as the operating temp weight 9.2 CST is 29 weight in my book.

Say Sopus wanted to make a XW-29 weight, are you saying would not be technically possible.....

Last edited:
29 Grade would only be possible if SOPUS could convince the rest of the API to adopt a new grade.

Don't overthink it.
2 Quarts of 5W-30 in 8 quarts will work.

The 2014 Track Pack Mustang calls for the same bearing clearances as your truck and called for 5W-50.

Roush didn't deviate from 5W-20 on the Supercharged Trucks. Since he picked up the drivetrain warranty he would have upped the oil to 5W-30 if he felt it was an improvement.

That said my Supercharged Coyote currently has 10W-30.

Last edited:
I'll give on the winter rating of my cocktail maybe not coming out at 1w for possible basestock winter addatives conflicts.

But so far as the operating temp weight 9.2 CST is 29 weight in my book.

Say Sopus wanted to make a XW-29 weight, are you saying would not be technically possible.....

Correct, because as per J300, the grades are ranges, not specific numbers:
SAE J300 motor oil viscosities.jpg

I totally get the grades are a range/swath of CST.

29 weight does not exist but only does not exist on paper (API). Which I understand and completely agree, would be insane to break them out for each individual weight (20,21,22,23,24 etc).

Funny how the 16 grade on the chart overlaps into part of the 20 grade range.

Think my 29 weight could exist from a scientific point. Just would never be listed on SAE J300 (unless they agreed to break it out, not going to happen).

I totally get the grades are a range/swath of CST.

29 weight does not exist but only does not exist on paper (API). Which I understand and completely agree, would be insane to break them out for each individual weight (20,21,22,23,24 etc).

Funny how the 16 grade on the chart overlaps into part of the 20 grade range.

Think my 29 weight could exist from a scientific point. Just would never be listed on SAE J300 (unless they agreed to break it out, not going to happen).

16 Grade and 20 Grade don't actually overlap. They are divided by HTHS. HTHS is actually a better measure of how the oil will perform in the engine than viscosity at 100C.

Back