1st time in 30+ years going away from Mobil 1....Amsoil and flush

I've been using 10w40 conventional ever since I bought my first car in 1977 and still use it in all my cars. You know the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". All the oil I'm currently using in my cars is new/old stock that I bought 15-25 years ago when oil could be bought for under a $1 a quart. I've got some newer oils that I've bought in the past few years when there have been good sales on it but being 60 years old, being disabled and not driving near as much as I used to I'm not likely to live long enough to use much if any of it since I still have several cases of the older stuff. I've got a dozen 5qt. jugs of 10w30 Pennzoil Platinum that I bought probably 15 years ago when they had it on sale and also had a rebate on it. Final cost on the PP was $1/qt. plus tax. I do my own oil changes and am still doing oil changes for under $5. each because, I also bought lots of oil filters at stores that were closing them out for $ .25-$1. each. When I bought the Versa I ordered a dozen filters from Rock Auto with a final cost including shipping of $2. each.
I would use the newer stuff first if you don’t think you will ever get to it anyway. Lol or I guess one of your family members will get good use of it.

No flush needed if you have been using mobil 1 with regular changes.
Why switching now to a more expensive oil ?

Keep using m1 or whatever full synthetic is on sale, cause the last thing you want to do is extend your oil changes with that engine. 5-7k miles like you've been doing is likely fine.

30 _ years using M1 and you have never had a issue, so why change? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Then again I know the need to venture out somewhere different just to change things up. Sure, go for Amsoil if you wish, you're just spending extra dough, but if that is what helps you get a piece of mind, then more power to you.

Mr. GTO, I would first determine wether or not you need to flush the motor. There are two ways that are reliable. The hardest way is to remove the valve cover and inspect the top of the head for sludge or dirty deposits. I would imagine that sludge will not be an issue due to your OCI's. A much simpler way is to pull your dipstick every time you fuel up. If at a few thousand miles it's black, then a flush is in order.

I have been using this procedure for many vehicles and it's a proven and reliable indicator.

As far as swapping oil brands I don't see problem as long as you are sticking to the same type you have been using. Good luck!!

Mr. GTO, I would first determine wether or not you need to flush the motor. There are two ways that are reliable. The hardest way is to remove the valve cover and inspect the top of the head for sludge or dirty deposits. I would imagine that sludge will not be an issue due to your OCI's. A much simpler way is to pull your dipstick every time you fuel up. If at a few thousand miles it's black, then a flush is in order.

I have been using this procedure for many vehicles and it's a proven and reliable indicator.

As far as swapping oil brands I don't see problem as long as you are sticking to the same type you have been using. Good luck!!
The only problem with the color method is direct injected engines often turn the oil dark far earlier than a typical port injected or carbureted engine. The in laws 3.0 Equinox is however nowhere near as bad as my fiance's Hyundai.

I really doubt there is any sludge either way, as everyone else has said. It would be nice if there was an easy way to check for timing chain slop though. On my old engines I can just remove the distributor cap, turn the crank pulley and watch for the rotor to turn.

So what is making you want to switch to Amsoil? I love Amsoil and used to use it religiously in my cars for years until I found BITOG and learned that you can use any oil and as long as it is in specs and you change it on time. I still use Amsoil for ATF and gear lubes but for engine oil it is pretty much a big waste of money. Use the cheapest synthetic oil you can find and you will be totally fine. I currently use Costco's Kirkland Full Synthetic Oil and love it, engine runs great and price is unbelievable (around $25 for two 5 quart jugs).

5K OCI on M1, no need to switch to Amsoil and DO NOT FLUSH! You may cause leaks, oil burning or clog open oil ports with sludge and make matters worse. Just keep to the same OCI and your car will last 300,000 miles and beyond.

OK so with my May oil change of Mobil 1 at around 4500 miles I decided today was a good day to change it to Amsoil before my 2hr drive tomorrow to Marco Island FL.

I know many said skip the flush. I didn't . I did the flush for 12 min. After letting the crankcase drain for a good half hour I changed the oil like normal. After I drained the pan into proper containers I did notice a hell of a lot of specs of crud at the bottom. They were not there when I started as I had cleaned the pan after my transmission fluid flush and drains.

Amsoil in, new Mobil 1 oil filter and Filtermag back in place. It did seem to run better and quieter. I'm going to see if it had any change in fuel economy tomorrow on the drive. Typically I get about 24mpg on the highway doing 70.

Sunday when I get back I'm going to inspect the innards of the oil filter I removed.

OK so with my May oil change of Mobil 1 at around 4500 miles I decided today was a good day to change it to Amsoil before my 2hr drive tomorrow to Marco Island FL.

I know many said skip the flush. I didn't . I did the flush for 12 min. After letting the crankcase drain for a good half hour I changed the oil like normal. After I drained the pan into proper containers I did notice a hell of a lot of specs of crud at the bottom. They were not there when I started as I had cleaned the pan after my transmission fluid flush and drains.

Amsoil in, new Mobil 1 oil filter and Filtermag back in place. It did seem to run better and quieter. I'm going to see if it had any change in fuel economy tomorrow on the drive. Typically I get about 24mpg on the highway doing 70.

Sunday when I get back I'm going to inspect the innards of the oil filter I removed.
It’s all in your head dude. My engines don’t run any quieter. It’s probably quieter because it has fresh oil. As far as fuel economy no change for me.

I honestly hope your engine makes it to Marco Island FL.

...I know many said skip the flush. I didn't . I did the flush for 12 min...

Amsoil in, new Mobil 1 oil filter and Filtermag back in place.

You didn't hurt a thing with the flush. I think it was a good call.

What I do want to ask is why you didn't switch to the Amsoil Oil Filter?
I am not an Amsoil basher or hater. I don't use them because of my
3-5K OCI's and my preference to stick with OEM filters.

Why bother switching ?
At 131000 the mobil 1 treated you well !
other than presumably costing more for the amsoil i see you gaining nothing by switching .
I'm thinking its a hunger you want to quench.
My son drove a lot as salesman for steel company....his Acura bought used at 18k miles was sold running fantastic at a mere 246k in only 5 years. He used Mobil 1 + filters at 5-6k OCI...Old oil always came out ok and mechanics said at both 105k timing belt replacements his valve train was spotless. Skip the flush!👎

Mobil 1 has a rep for clean engines, so I can't imagine why it would need a flush. I'd expect that engine to be squeaky clean inside.

I think its a lateral move, save for the price. Before the Amsoil guys get in here and crow about 25k OCIs, how many people really do that?

And think about this. Paying a fee to get preferred pricing. That just sounds silly. Maybe they ought to give you a discount when you have an account and order a certain amount per year.

Amsoil's quacky marketing and sales are really the only reason I haven't tried it at some point.

But I am sure it is outstanding oil. But so is Mobil 1.

Just my 2 cents.

Back