1st time in 30+ years going away from Mobil 1....Amsoil and flush

I've used Mobil 1 in a variety of my vehicles over the past 30 years. My older vehicles I would use conventional oil like my old Pontiac's and Buicks. All my new cars got Mobil 1. I figured I'd try something different to keep my 2010 Chevy Equinox 3.0 V6 going a little longer. I've done the oil changes per the trip computer at 5-7K miles for the life of the car. It currently has almost 131K miles on it now.

I've always used the M1 5W30, typically a Mobil 1 or K&N filter(never again after the "nut" on the end leaked one time, and an old school FilterMag magnet. When I've changed the oil at 7K miles I'd typically be down a half or so quart. I never worried about it. The last few oil changes I've done here in FL (previously in MA) I've gone around 5K miles only due to the temps here vs MA. We've been in FL for the last 2 years.

After watching some video's and doing some research I figured I'd try Amsoil. I'm going to use the flush. I'm fairly confident not a lot of crud will come out since I've been pretty religious about doing the oil changes and have always used a quality oil and filter.

Anyone have any thoughts or concerns about using the flush and then going to Amsoil at 130K mile engine?

Thanks all.

What is the flush supposed to do and what does the 130,000 miles have to do with anything since you have run M1 for the engines life and what is to gain by switching to Amsoil? Not discounting the Amsoil but any quality oil from the majors oil changed regularly will allow the longest engine life possible

Honestly, I wouldn’t bother with a flush since you used a great oil and really took care of your vehicle.

Amsoil and Mobil 1 are great oils. I run both in a few vehicles I have and have nothing against either one. Enjoy your vehicle!

Well if you're going the boutique route, Amsoil is a good choice. I'd skip the flush as well.

Why bother switching ?
At 131000 the mobil 1 treated you well !
other than presumably costing more for the amsoil i see you gaining nothing by switching .
I'm thinking its a hunger you want to quench.

I am an unapologetic Amsoil user and fan. I agree with the consensus that the flush is unnecessary. I've also been on an extended business trip when my wife decided she couldn't go another day without seeing me so she drove 6 hours. When she got to me, her oil was overdue for change, I had no Amsoil with me, so I went to local Walmart and purchased M1 EP 5W30. I changed her oil in Walmart parking lot. (I carry tools, jack & stands, etc. in my trunk). BTW, I've been using Amsoil for ~15 years. Nothing wrong with either oil. Do what lets you sleep at night.

Last edited:
Yet I’ve gone back and forth with Amsoil. I used to use Mobil One. I use Amsoil SS in both vehicles. Amsoil is great but it’s no magic oil. I like their gear oils, transmission lubes, fuel injector cleaners and their Saber for my weed eater. I pay 16.00 a year for preferred pricing. I follow the olm on the pilot and go 10K on my Tacoma. Right now it’s my in thing...who knows I may switch back.

I am an unapologetic Amsoil user and fan. I agree with the consensus that the flush is unnecessary. I've also been on an extended business trip when my wife decided she couldn't go another day without seeing me so she drove 6 hours. When she got to me, her oil was overdue for change, I had no Amsoil with me, so I went to local Walmart and purchased M1 EP 5W30. I changed her oil in Walmart parking lot. (I carry tools, jack & stands, etc. in my trunk). BTW, I've been using Amsoil for ~15 years. Nothing wrong with either oil. Do what lets you sleep at night.
boss💪🏿

You’re saying that like it’s not a high-end oil (M1 EP which is on par with SS both the mileage it covers and base oils), but a gallon of expired milk. LOL to that, I’m still eager to see any proofs that Amsoil makes any difference to our regular engines when compared to the well known brands. ProjectFarm racing project doesn’t count

If you didn't know how often the oil was changed I would do the flush. Since it is YOUR truck and you know the history I would skip the flush. But I would try the Amsoil if you want to.

Back