1st take for a PS fluid change in 94 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a (cheap) turkey baster at Wallymart and realized the turkey baster will not fit down far enough in the PS reservoir. So I bought some irrigation drip tubing that fits inside the end of the turkey baster.

Tried to use it and it did not work well at all, I think the turkey baster is too cheap as the bulb falls off easily.

So my next try will be to unbolt the reservoir lift it up and undo the bottom hose and pour the old fluid into a jar. Fill and repeat 3 times.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
What about a fluid extracter?

The Camry reservoir is oddly shaped. The opening is not very large in diameter and its got a blob of plastic right under the opening, so one needs to go down a little and then off to the side so one does not hit the blob of plastic.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: panthermike
What about a fluid extracter?

The Camry reservoir is oddly shaped. The opening is not very large in diameter and its got a blob of plastic right under the opening, so one needs to go down a little and then off to the side so one does not hit the blob of plastic.

Oh I see, gotta love it!

I use a "pump" from a large bottle of lotion or shampoo on my 99 Camry. Goes to the bottom of the reservoir and I can pump the old fluid into an available container.

This is what you do,, it takes a bit of thought so lets go look at the pump there are 2 hoses one is high pressure and one is low pressure ,,the low pressure is held on by a hose clamp ..o.k. so far? get about 6 feet of 3/8 hose a pipe that fits into the hose and the low pressure hose and a 5 gallon bucket and something to block off the fitting the return hose is attached to,, there are rubber type caps ,, and 2 or 3 hose clamps for the 3/8 hose . Now think.. with the cap and hose clamps and the necessary tools for the hose removal and attaching the 3/8 hose that one end is in the 5 gallon bucket with a rag in hand remove the return hose ,, plug the reservoir fitting splice the return hose into the hose you bought tighten all the clamps . Jack up the front end of the car enough to get the front wheels off the ground get safety stands for safety. Now with the oil ready and the caps off the oil bottles a helper is good start the car and slowly turn the steering wheel lock to lock with the engine idleing and add oil to the ps pump and watch the oil comming into the 5 gallon busket do not let the ps pump go dry add oil and turn the steering wheel slowly till othe oil comes from the hose in the 5 gallon bucket is clear, reattach the low pressure hose to the reservoir add ps oil to the proper fill and put the car back on the groung and done. Also you have the parts to flush an auto trans if you have one. Baster type methods really aren't the most effective way yo flush anything.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Baster type methods really aren't the most effective way yo flush anything.

I agree not the most effective, but it does the job.

BTW, the guy that mentioned the shampoo pump, good idea! That would work perfect on reservoirs that have small openings.

Disconnect the hoses where they connect to the rack, lift up the front end, then turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock several times with the engine off.

Originally Posted By: Benny John
I use a "pump" from a large bottle of lotion or shampoo on my 99 Camry. Goes to the bottom of the reservoir and I can pump the old fluid into an available container.

excellent idea!!! i will remember next time!! it easier to store than blaster after use for sure!

I took off the 3 bolts holding on the PS reservoir and pulled the lower hose and drained it into a container. The old PS fluid looked the golden color of motor oil. I had first thought the reservoir contained a lot of black PS fluid, but it turned out to be a black metal band going around the reservoir up to about half way. I got about 10 oz of Dex III into the reservoir.

Guess I also need to up the strength of my reading glasses.

Im sure if you baste and fill the res once a year, thats plenty "good enough". Think how many cars have 200k+ and have NEVER changed PS fluid. Thoughts?

I bought a QT of NAPA Dex III and it seems each drain and fill of the reservoir takes 10 oz, so I will do it 3X and toss the empty container. Last thing I need is a partial container of anything (including Dex III) on my shelf.

The Camry has gone 15 years on its factory fill of PS fluid. I can afford another QT of Dex III in another 15 years (will they even have Dex III in 15 years).

My friend's 1991 Honda Accord had OEM brake fluid and PS fluid until it sold a year ago with more than 200k miles. He changed ATF and coolant once at around 120-130k miles, changed oil+filter every year with dino.

The brake and power steering was blacker than black ink, the oil was black and 2 quarts low when the car sold. The amazing thing was the car still ran fine and passed smog check every time.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My friend's 1991 Honda Accord had OEM brake fluid and PS fluid until it sold a year ago with more than 200k miles. He changed ATF and coolant once at around 120-130k miles, changed oil+filter every year with dino.

The brake and power steering was blacker than black ink, the oil was black and 2 quarts low when the car sold. The amazing thing was the car still ran fine and passed smog check every time.

Hondas from 1991 were far different (and better IMO) than late model units. Mid 80's to mid 90's Hondas would run forever on minimal maintenence. Since approx. 1998 the Honda A/T has been problematic in many models and calls for more maintanence using Honda fluids. It's called 'progress' and it isn't always a good thing.

I suck the fluid out of the reservoir in my BMW using my oil extractor then refill about once a year. I use M1 ATF and I'm confident that if this maintenance is kept up, the PS sytem will be in good shape when the car is wrecked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back