1st snow ride of the winter for the fat bikes

The title says it all. Rode out to a Starbucks for a hot chocolate, and then stopped to check out the freeze-up on the Red River. The pentagonal ice-breaking structure you see in the background of the 3rd photo was completely submerged only a few months ago. Its job is to divert ice during Spring breakup, which could otherwise damage the bridge's piers.

20201121_163152 - Copy.jpg

20201121_165040.jpg

20201121_165050.jpg

20201121_165102_Burst01 - Copy.jpg

Awesome. Chuck, the bikes look great!

We had ZERO snow last year here on Long Island... Hoping for a better year this year.

About 120 bucks apiece.
I wish! The 4.8-incher up front on my bike (the yellow one) set me back C$380 + 13% tax, back in 2017. The 4-inchers varied from C$305 - $320. 🤪
The four winter tires were all purchased from local bike shops. I had to go to three different shops to find four tires.

Bear in mind, though, that they're equipped with carbide studs, which are pretty pricey on their own. The 4-inchers each have 240 studs. Someone told me they run $0.60 each, so there's almost half the cost right there.

But they're now into their 5th winter, with no apparent wear on the studs, so I'm happy with them.

Life’s better without snow
In so many ways, yes, but when you live in a place with snow, it's way better to enjoy it than to hide inside.

Other than our year in New Zealand in 2003/04, the last time I experienced a winter without snow, JFK was still president. (That's a statement that made me feel old!)

I forgot about the Canadian exchange. Most fat tires down here can be had for around 120 bucks.
Nice price! NYE, do you buy locally, or online? If online, who's good to deal with and offers good prices?

I haven't had to replace the 3-season (unstudded) tires yet. What do you recommend when the time comes?

Nice price! NYE, do you buy locally, or online? If online, who's good to deal with and offers good prices?

I haven't had to replace the 3-season (unstudded) tires yet. What do you recommend when the time comes?

I have two local shops I do regular business with. I also buy a lot of tires from a wheelbuilder in Idaho named Mikesee. His website is Lacemine29. His prices are very fair.
I LOVE Bontrager Barbegazis for fat trail riding. I also really like the Surly Bud as a front tire and the 4.8 Knard on the rear for non snow BUT I was just made aware Surly is no longer listing the 4.8 Knard on their site. I am not too happy with Surly lately.
The Jumbo Jim is also a really good three season tire.

I have two local shops I do regular business with. I also buy a lot of tires from a wheelbuilder in Idaho named Mikesee. His website is Lacemine29. His prices are very fair.
I LOVE Bontrager Barbegazis for fat trail riding. I also really like the Surly Bud as a front tire and the 4.8 Knard on the rear for non snow BUT I was just made aware Surly is no longer listing the 4.8 Knard on their site. I am not too happy with Surly lately.
The Jumbo Jim is also a really good three season tire.
I'm running the JJ's (they are what came on my bike) and yes, they seem to be a pretty good spring/summer/fall tire. They actually aren't too bad in snow either, but I'm sure there are significantly better options that I simply haven't tried.

Funny... I haven't liked snow much for most of my adult life but since I started fat biking I like it a lot more. Night rides in snow are one of my all time favorite things now.

Back