1st oil change?.... Saturn VUE with 2.2L Ecotec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife and I finally bought a new VUE since we've got the 2nd baby on the way. Sitting in the driveway with about 100 miles on the clock. Been using Castrol GTX 5w-30 in the L200 that we traded and will probably continue with that. Would 1500 miles be good for a first oil change? Sooner...?

Thanks,
Ashley

quote:

Originally posted by Flash:
The wife and I finally bought a new VUE since we've got the 2nd baby on the way. Sitting in the driveway with about 100 miles on the clock. Been using Castrol GTX 5w-30 in the L200 that we traded and will probably continue with that. Would 1500 miles be good for a first oil change? Sooner...?

Thanks,
Ashley

Which engine? If it has the 3.5L Honda engine it probably has the special High Moly Honda Break-In Oil. Honda recommends you leave this oil in for at least 3000 ml in their cars.

Gene

let it go until 3k or whatever the dealer recommends. GTX is a good dino choice,but if you are doing the changes yourself, I would go straight to synthetic in the viscosity that the book recommends.

I would go regular intervals with mobil1, whatever the warranty requires.

quote:

Originally posted by Flash:

Thanks,
Ashley

Oops... Missed that you put the engine in Subject Line only... 2.2L... Hmmm...

500 ml unless it uses a special break-in oil.

Gene

Gene

Congrats on your new Vue, and your 2nd baby! 1500 miles is probably fine with the Ecotech motor. The Honda V6 however, I'd change more frequently as the very high amounts of leaching copper take some time to come down.

I wish there was more UOA data on the Ecotech, there just isn't much out there yet.

I really like to get the OEM oil out of the engine by 50-100 miles. This is easpeicaly the case if you use an agressive break-in procedure. I then like to change it again at the 500-600 mile mark. Then one more time after an additional 1500 mille. After this I go to a normal OCI.

When I followed OEM break in precedures I went to 500 miles then changed the oil> From then on I used OEM OCI.

Their can not be anything good about leaveing OEM oil in the engine for long! Even if the filter traps a lot of it you still have alot of it circulateing. You also have a possability of the filter tearing with huge hunks of metal hitting it at 100 PSI.

Even if the engine only has 20 minutes of running on it you get shiny piece of visable metal in the oil and on the dipstick tube sometimes. DO you really want those makeing another pass thorough the engine.

ACDelco PF2244G
Hastings LF548
Purflux L264A
Purolator L 15436 Pep Boys
Baldwin P1445
STP S9018R Auto Zone
Fram PH9018
WIX 51365, 57082
MANN HU 69/2

I Agree. I also have the 2.2L ecotec, I have been using Mobil 1 5w-30 and its been great so far. I ran the original oil for 3k i think.

Wow, thanks for all the replies, folks! Not sure yet what I'll be choosing for an oil, but have hopes that this engine will last a long, long time.....!

If the brain trust on this NG confuses you just read what the manufacture recomends (owners manual). Really difficult to argue with engineers who wore out engines to establist the recomendation. ed hayes

Eddie I work with said engineers and they do not usualy wear the engines out. GM until recently only validated to the warranty period wich is 3/36. While they will have a large fleet for testing most of them seldom get more then 20,000-40,000 miles. When you hear them qoute things like 180,000 miles of testing that the millage of the fleet 10-30 cars added together along with componets tested in the lab on test jigs.

The engineers doing the testing and validateing do not pick the oil or the interval their is a seperate department that does that! THeir are other concerns beside just durability. Remember all they car about is the car makeing it outside of warranty before it breaks and costs them money. I am pretty sure that even the 0W5 could even make it to 3/36! I mean I have known people that never changed their oil just added to it that made it well outside of warranty.

Most of your automotive engineers do not come from an automotive background. So most engineers working at a large automanufacture could not begin to talk to you about why a various weight of oil was recomended. As a matter of fact most automotive engineers can not diagnos what is wrong with a vechile let alone fix themselfs!

Their is no way that anyone on this site can prove that leaveing contaiminated oil that is loaded with wear metal in an engine can possable be a good thing! If leaving contaimanated oil in a car is such a good thing then why even change the oil?

EPA issues, Initial Cost ofOwnership, Stupid proffing the oil choices, makeing sure that it does not last you forever..... all play a role!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back