1st oil change OEM Ford Filter

VAB

Guys, just did my 1st oil change on my 2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost. Upon inspecting the OEM filter, one entire side of the media has completely collapsed into the middle of the filter. I'm gonna cut it open tomorrow at work, but to say I'm pissed right now is an understatement. Here's some pics trying to show what I'm talking about, hard to see inside the filter I know, but the media showing inside the filter is the entire one side that's collapsed into the middle. I'll post more pics when I get it cut open.

Attachments

• 20210225_132711.jpg
    20210225_132711.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 324
  • 20210225_132645.jpg
    20210225_132645.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 327
OOOOH, that doesn't look good. Is that a filter with the plastic inner tube? Looks like it must be. Motorcraft? Maybe show it to dealer before cutting it apart. Of course they will just say no problem, no harm caused.

OOOOH, that doesn't look good. Is that a filter with the plastic inner tube? Looks like it must be. Motorcraft? Maybe show it to dealer before cutting it apart. Of course they will just say no problem, no harm caused.
This is the OEM filter that came on it from the factory, says FORD MO CO on it.

Doesn't look like it had a center tube at all but relied on the rigidity of the pleats almost like a cartridge filter. Pretty sure plastic parts would have fallen out if it used the plastic cage like the new supertech and acdelco ones do.
See plastic cage one here from my honda. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/super-tech-9688-cut-open.335149/
No interior cage of any kind, just media material that collapsed in on itself. Here's some better pictures.

Attachments

• 20210225_145044.jpg
    20210225_145044.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 20210225_145124.jpg
    20210225_145124.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 192
Guys, just did my 1st oil change on my 2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost. Upon inspecting the OEM filter, one entire side of the media has completely collapsed into the middle of the filter. I'm gonna cut it open tomorrow at work, but to say I'm pissed right now is an understatement. Here's some pics trying to show what I'm talking about, hard to see inside the filter I know, but the media showing inside the filter is the entire one side that's collapsed into the middle. I'll post more pics when I get it cut open.
I have been ridiculed on this site over early oil changes - and my reply was that I’m changing the oil AND the filter both to something that I trust …

Last edited:
I have been ridiculed on this site over early oil changes - and my was reply that I’m changing the oil AND the filter both to something that I trust …
This was at 4,897 miles. I'm wondering if this filter was running in bypass the entire time after this happened.......

This was at 4,897 miles. I'm wondering if this filter was running in bypass the entire time after this happened.......
It looks like the media was pushed inward, which means it was probably torn where it's glued to the end caps and therefore letting unfiltered out through.

Keep any oil for an UOA ? … you should see iron a bit high on a new motor but not necessarily other metals
Plus it could be compared to others

I'm with those who believe an early OCI on a new vehicle is a good way to go. MotorCraft makes a good filter and yet it seems Ford isn't using them on a new vehicle. Sad to see that. Hope nothing but a scare for you. Big thanks for eventually cutting it open and posting. Interested to see where it tore or maybe even if it wasn't glued in a certain spot.

Back