1st oil change not being done by dealer.

Sorry Ken, but no such filter exists....anymore. All of the Toyota filters now are the 90915-YZZ or 04152-YZZ Thailand filters.
I wonder how the FEBI-Bilstein [ p/n: 27149 ] filters are? p/n: 27149. Some Citroen, Peugeot and Toyota share the same base O.D. dia, gasket and threads.

90915-10003.jpg
Toyota Japan

FEBI Bilstein for Toyota.jpg
FEBI - BILSTEIN

My wife has been getting her 2016 Toyota Highlander oil changed at a dealer since she bought it new. As it takes them around 2 hours to do the required scheduled maintenance ( oil change, tire rotation ,mat inspection , top off fluids , ) she no longer wants to go there . The SUV has 41,000 miles on it. So instead of Toyota fullsynthetic oil and oil filter I'm going with Mobil1 full synthetic 0w 20 and a Wix oil filter. My question is is a Wix oil filter one of the better oil filters out there as this particular brand was all the store had to fit her SUV ? Sorry for the long windedness.
I'd say FRAM Extra Guard, $3-4. Good for 10k miles on the box.

WIX has a good reputation, I have used them on several vehicles and been very happy with them.
The Mobil 1 0W20 is also highly respected. It is even possible that the Toyota dealership is using Mobil 1, unless the Toyota brand is specified on the receipt.

If using a Toyota dealership, check their website for coupons.
The dealership I use usually has a $10 off coupon for oil change.

I have found a local Toyota dealership that has a good service department. Open until 9pm weekdays and 7am to 5pm on Saturday.
They told me that Saturday is their busiest day.
I'm in and out within the 2 hours you mention.
So far, they have not tried to sell me unnecessary services.
I get my oil changed every 5K miles, and they even told me that 10K is the recommended interval.
A better experience vs the Toyota dealership that I had used before.

I have gotten lazy, I have a case of oil and a filter....plus the tool in order to do the changes myself as I have for many years with other vehicles.
One thing that I DO like is that the vehicle gets a decent looking over.......one has to trust the people doing this that they don't try to sell you services that you don't need.
Last weekend, I took my snow tires in with me....they are on their own rims and have their own pressure sensors. I have been having problems with a sore knee and did not want to mess with jacking up the car and changing them over. I even have the tool to program the tire pressure sensor serial numbers into the car's computer.
The dealership charged me $10 to change from all season to my snow tires (again, on their own rims)......my knee thanks them!

A good alternative would be a trusted independent shop.

BC O.E is Just Denso Thailand with suspect media quality.
At least it was 15 years ago, IME :)

AFA DENSO, I do like the P-gasket on the base - pretty much leak proof.
of course, in a loading cartridge-style I guess that doesn't matter.

And Yipee ! for cartridge-style! You get more media - and no unit-to-unit ADBV or Bypass worries.

That's a big win.

Why would should anyone pay $6 for an entry-level filter when OE filters can be acquired for under $4/ea....if you stock up?
Point being, get the cheapest filter that does the job/meets quality levels. Fram Extra Guard is usually one of the cheapest. Or Super Tech. I guess my OE experience with oil filters is different in terms of price. Subaru used to want $5, so I'd get those. Now they want $11 at the dealer so I don't. I buy Extra Guards for $3.88.

Why would should anyone pay $6 for an entry-level filter when OE filters can be acquired for under $4/ea....if you stock up?
Most times the OE is the entry level filter.
WIX in master-pack is the way to buy WIX.

In the grand scheme of this forum "PCMO", any filter will do, unless some odd modifications have been done to the OE vehicle.

Isn't there 1mil+ posts here on bitog about oil filters? I recommend people start their reading there when there's a question around which filter is good or not good.

Point being, get the cheapest filter that does the job/meets quality levels. Fram Extra Guard is usually one of the cheapest. Or Super Tech. I guess my OE experience with oil filters is different in terms of price. Subaru used to want $5, so I'd get those. Now they want $11 at the dealer so I don't. I buy Extra Guards for $3.88.
Here:

Most times the OE is the entry level filter.
WIX in master-pack is the way to buy WIX.

In the grand scheme of this forum "PCMO", any filter will do, unless some odd modifications have been done to the OE vehicle.

Isn't there 1mil+ posts here on bitog about oil filters? I recommend people start their reading there when there's a question around which filter is good or not good.
I have yet to see any evidence that the Wix filter is "superior" to OE for the average person and is worth spending more money for. You can make an argument that filters such as the Fram Ultra offer upgraded filtration and carry value, but I see no advantage to a Wix over OE except for ease of availability.

Here:

I have yet to see any evidence that the Wix filter is "superior" to OE for the average person and is worth spending more money for. You can make an argument that filters such as the Fram Ultra offer upgraded filtration and carry value, but I see no advantage to a Wix over OE except for ease of availability.
Did you look at the Beta #'s for each?

I know what a beta number is, I was asking you what the values are for the Toyota filters. You asked The Critic if he'd looked at them so I thought you maybe knew what they were since you asked that question. That Donaldson link doesn't list values.

Did you look at the Beta #'s for each?
Does it matter? If the filters were validated by Toyota, their filtration capabilities and capacity were deemed to be adequate. When you combine this with the common knowledge that filtration and capacity are rarely an issue with full-flow filters, OE at $3.50/filter makes more sense than any of the other options.

I know what a beta number is, I was asking you what the values are for the Toyota filters.

As you know, Toyota has never published beta numbers on their filters. Only data seen is the 3rd party ISO 4548-12 test data, which is very low on the beta scale.

Back