1st oil change not being done by dealer.

When I do my moms 2017 Camry I put in Mobil 1 0W-20 with a Mobil 1 Filter because Walmart had the Mobil 1 filters for her car on sale so I picked up all 10 they had for $1.50 each. The oil still looks clean so I am assuming the filter is doing a good job I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Mobil 1 filter yet. Also a piece of advise is get a metal filter housing a replace that plastic one if you haven’t already done so the plastic ones get brittle and break over time if you try to take them off even with the proper tool I’ve been there and done that many times the metal is much better.

Don’t give up the free coffee and bagels the Dealership is offering while
My wife has been getting her 2016 Toyota Highlander oil changed at a dealer since she bought it new. As it takes them around 2 hours to do the required scheduled maintenance ( oil change, tire rotation ,mat inspection , top off fluids , ) she no longer wants to go there . The SUV has 41,000 miles on it. So instead of Toyota fullsynthetic oil and oil filter I'm going with Mobil1 full synthetic 0w 20 and a Wix oil filter. My question is is a Wix oil filter one of the better oil filters out there as this particular brand was all the store had to fit her SUV ? Sorry for the long windedness.

Don’t give the Free coffee and Bagels the Dealership service Department is offering. Let the service train factory technician do there thing . I say this because rotation of tires is pain without a lift lol

When I do my moms 2017 Camry I put in Mobil 1 0W-20 with a Mobil 1 Filter because Walmart had the Mobil 1 filters for her car on sale so I picked up all 10 they had for $1.50 each. The oil still looks clean so I am assuming the filter is doing a good job I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Mobil 1 filter yet. Also a piece of advise is get a metal filter housing a replace that plastic one if you haven’t already done so the plastic ones get brittle and break over time if you try to take them off even with the proper tool I’ve been there and done that many times the metal is much better.
Probably because the cost of a Mobil 1 filter is higher than any of the others mentioned.

Your $1.50 price was not a sale, it was a clearance. Mobil 1 filters normally start at $10-12and go up from there.

Toyota Genuine (Thailand) - They are just a DENSO variant - or they use to be when I last hated them in the mid 2000's when I was maintaining a Fleet of two Toyotas - Yaris and a Rav4.

Be Very Wary (said like Elmer Fudd ) of Chinese knockoffs dumped on EBAY - likely MOST of then are Fakes,
The Gen -U- Wine Toyota's should have have 3-D holographic foil stickers on the box.
If you like your VVTi to work I would use Lexus equivalent spin-ons with expanded foam media - not fibreglass paper.

It made it this far on Toyota oil and filters. Just order some filters from EBay and have them on hand. I buy a case for my 08 Highlander and my dad’s RX 350.

My wife has been getting her 2016 Toyota Highlander oil changed at a dealer since she bought it new. As it takes them around 2 hours to do the required scheduled maintenance ( oil change, tire rotation ,mat inspection , top off fluids , ) she no longer wants to go there . The SUV has 41,000 miles on it. So instead of Toyota fullsynthetic oil and oil filter I'm going with Mobil1 full synthetic 0w 20 and a Wix oil filter. My question is is a Wix oil filter one of the better oil filters out there as this particular brand was all the store had to fit her SUV ? Sorry for the long windedness.
Top off fluids? You mean fill the windshield washer fluid tank with tap water? Do they check the backup brake fluid tank behind the glove box?

I have never seen this "lexus equivalent" that you are referring to? Do you have a part number?
That thread is so old I cant recall exactly, but IIRC Lexus sold the same service part# as an O.E. "Made in Japan" top quality Toyota Denso filter, whereas the Toyota service part are a $1.oo item manufactured in Southeast Asia.
I was having issue with cam phasers on a Yaris after the first oil change with a TOYOTA genuine filter. Put the old filter back on and the car ran fine. Thinking it may be a "priming" issue I put the Thailand filter back on and the problem returned. With the Paper element genuine toyota filter (Made in Thailand) the car had so much top end racket it sounded completely oil starved. Thus began my distrust (then hate)for VVT mechanisms and non O.E. service parts. I rejoined BITOG at that time. I think I used to be BustedKnuckles or something in the early 2000's. The Made in Japan Denso have a Foam media - not paper. This likely supports flow over filter efficiency. - Ken

Wix makes a good filter. Arguably the Fram Ultra is better for less money. Fully synthetic filter media with better efficiency and excellent flow rate. I would go ahead and use the Wix if you already purchased it then switch to the Fram Ultra next time if you so desire. Mobil 1 is a stout oil, no issues there. Good on you for changing it vs the dealer. Our Jetta is brand new but we will be avoiding the dealer whenever we can, including the 2 years of scheduled free maintenance. Too many issues with service departments.

I buy 4-5 Wix XP's on Rockauto when they have deals. Good luck so far and that includes some oil analysis results in my opinion....

I got 3!!! defective OEM VW oil filters from Rock Auto. I know Rock Auto doesn't manufacture the filters but goodness, you would think they wouldn't accept or mail out defective stock. All 3 had a defective seal pleat on the filter media. I ended up going to the VW dealer to purchase a filter (the same one as Rock Auto) as I usually do and sure enough, the filter looked as it should.

That thread is so old I cant recall exactly, but IIRC Lexus sold the same service part# as an O.E. "Made in Japan" top quality Toyota Denso filter, whereas the Toyota service part are a $1.oo item manufactured in Southeast Asia.
I was having issue with cam phasers on a Yaris after the first oil change with a TOYOTA genuine filter. Put the old filter back on and the car ran fine. Thinking it may be a "priming" issue I put the Thailand filter back on and the problem returned. With the Paper element genuine toyota filter (Made in Thailand) the car had so much top end racket it sounded completely oil starved. Thus began my distrust (then hate)for VVT mechanisms and non O.E. service parts. I rejoined BITOG at that time. I think I used to be BustedKnuckles or something in the early 2000's. The Made in Japan Denso have a Foam media - not paper. This likely supports flow over filter efficiency. - Ken
Sorry Ken, but no such filter exists....anymore. All of the Toyota filters now are the 90915-YZZ or 04152-YZZ Thailand filters.

Back