1st oil change not being done by dealer.

My wife has been getting her 2016 Toyota Highlander oil changed at a dealer since she bought it new. As it takes them around 2 hours to do the required scheduled maintenance ( oil change, tire rotation ,mat inspection , top off fluids , ) she no longer wants to go there . The SUV has 41,000 miles on it. So instead of Toyota fullsynthetic oil and oil filter I'm going with Mobil1 full synthetic 0w 20 and a Wix oil filter. My question is is a Wix oil filter one of the better oil filters out there as this particular brand was all the store had to fit her SUV ? Sorry for the long windedness.

Wix are generally good filters … but many here are going to recommend the Fram Ultra. Bear in mind some here select that filter to get 2 oil changes out of it … It’s one of the long range filters with around a 20 micron particle cut

Last edited:
I'm more of the persuasion that oil filters that filter the most particulate are the better quality, versus wanting one for high OCIs, so the Wix is exactly what I run (not the Wix XP).

My wife has been getting her 2016 Toyota Highlander oil changed at a dealer since she bought it new. As it takes them around 2 hours to do the required scheduled maintenance ( oil change, tire rotation ,mat inspection , top off fluids , ) she no longer wants to go there . The SUV has 41,000 miles on it. So instead of Toyota fullsynthetic oil and oil filter I'm going with Mobil1 full synthetic 0w 20 and a Wix oil filter. My question is is a Wix oil filter one of the better oil filters out there as this particular brand was all the store had to fit her SUV ? Sorry for the long windedness.
Will you be doing the oil changes from now on? How long is the oil change interval?

I'm on the Fram Ultra bandwagon. I leave it on for two oil changes on the Caravan. Makes oil changes easier especially when you aren't changing the filter on the second oil change.

Oil changes on the Highlander are kind of a pain in the rear. My parents have a 2013, and my dad has always been a "change my own oil" kind of person. He went to NAPA, bought the oil and Wix filter to do it himself, saw the headache it was going to be and that it required a Toyota specific filter removal tool, and promptly returned everything to NAPA. He just lets the dealer deal with it now.

Wix filters are a good filter. It was my goto filter for a long time. The Fram Ultra and OEM Toyota are also very good filters, and cost less than the Wix.

Does you vehicle have a canister filter, or is it a cartridge type? I know many of the newer Toyota's have a cartridge filter setup that is kind of a pain to do. Not that it should keep you from doing it, but just be aware that you may also have the one time extra cost of buying the tool to remove it.
I also know some of them have a plastic cap that can break/crack, and many have replaced it with a metal one.

As for oil, Mobil 1 is fine, but depending on the driving conditions and interval, even something like Supertech synthetic oil from Walmart would work just fine.

I would continue with the dealer if it's under 100 dollars. It is a PAIN to rotate the tires and do a thorough inspection of the underbody, axes, transfer case fluids and brake calipers and top off the air in the tires. and lube hinges.
Now if it was a Summer car like a Maserati GT with the Ferrari V8 it would be a pleasure to DIY.
Tell her to bring a book and relax. This cant be more than 3x per year.

Sounds like you've been happy with the dealer so far so I see no reason to stop going there since you're only averaging 8k a year. Unless you need something to do then your choices are sound.

Wix makes good filters, but like some others have mentioned you could use OEM (Toyota)...

Just my $0.02

Why not just buy Toyota oil filters, they're $7.00 and no doubt a good filter.
$7? I buy them by the case for $4 per (case of ten for $40). Works for me. I alternate between 5k and 10k OCI's with Supertech but our miles out here tend to be more highway than city.

My question is is a Wix oil filter one of the better oil filters out there as this particular brand was all the store had to fit her SUV ? Sorry for the long windedness.
Yes Wix is one of the better standard-replacement filters, use them with confidence. Regarding the other comments, the Fram Ultra is not a standard replacement filter, it is an extended performance filter that can go much longer than a standard filter before it needs replacement. That's why people are using them more than one regular service interval -- I also do this with any extended performance filter.

I am on the NAPA Platinum on sale bandwagon. (when on sale). The large ones for my PSD are normally $20 and can he had on sale for under $4.00.

Value wise (again when on sale) may be the best filter for the price.

One of these is needed to take off the cap.

I used Toy OE oil filter cartridges on our 2009 Venza 3.5L.

Nice thing with a Wix filter is it should come with a screw in bleed valve, the OE ones snap in. Oil comes out in a more controlled steam with the screw in plastic bleed valve.
Procedure is:
  1. Remove small cap at bottom of filter housing with a 3/8" drive.
  2. Insert bleed valve to drain oil out of housing
  3. Remove main oil housing with the tool I linked to above.
  4. Remove cartridge oil filter.
  5. Change 2 rubber O gaskets, one on the small cap and one on the main filter housing.
  6. Just make sure you are installing large O ring in the correct groove.
  7. Reverse process to put it all back together.
  8. Fill with oil - IIRC 6.2L ~ 7 Quarts.

Back