1st Gen Scion Xb's can go 118mph!

Status
Not open for further replies.
High in the Mountains of Central California
I know it is true! I just watched a long televised car chase where the woman driving the Xb in question was clocked at 118mph as she attempted to evade capture.

Of course, Crown Vics can go a lot faster, but who could've guessed an Xb could go that fast.

And, yes, they flipped her car around (several times) and finally got her.

Good job CHP! (and kudos to Scion, too!
11.gif
)

Car Chase Link

Last edited:
The typical top speed for xA and xB for manual trans is around 125 mph, so if the car is in good condition 118 mph is easily achievable
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Not THAT much faster...

Well, it turns out that you are right! I did some research and found that with the 3.27 axle, Crown Vics hit the limiter at 129, while with the 3.55 axle the limiter kicks in at 119. The non-police versions stop at 106.

I figured they were in the mid-130's, but, you know...
21.gif

The limiter in my car is set to 113 mph, even though the police package version has a tested top speed of 142 mph with the same engine and gearing. Of course the police package version also comes with Z-rated tires and mine comes with T rated (is that the one that is only good for 118 mph)? So it's not that surprising.

it's not that the tire will explode if you go over 118mph. ( It indicates the maximum permitted speed that the tire can sustain for a ten minute endurance without being in danger) My car's speed limiter is set at 255mph :)

Originally Posted By: Buffman
it's not that the tire will explode if you go over 118mph. ( It indicates the maximum permitted speed that the tire can sustain for a ten minute endurance without being in danger) My car's speed limiter is set at 255mph :)

The speed limiter is easily removed, but with its removal comes the voiding of my 100K powertrain warranty. I hit the top speed of 113 once, without any effort at all, when driving out in the west. I doubt I'll ever have the car going that fast again.

Setting the speed limiter to a speed that is higher than what the tires are rated at has liability issues written all over it.

Originally Posted By: Big O Dave
Not THAT much faster...

Well, it turns out that you are right! I did some research and found that with the 3.27 axle, Crown Vics hit the limiter at 129, while with the 3.55 axle the limiter kicks in at 119. The non-police versions stop at 106.

21.gif

Some of the older ones went up to 131. Not a whole lot of difference. The problem for the vic is the driveshaft is so long maximium RPM of the 'shaft is what keeps it held back. The MY2000 CVPI had a the 3.55 differential standard but had a Alcoa Aluminium Metal Matrix (AMMX) drive shaft which allowed a 130ish limiter. If I remember right the maximum RPM of a AMMX shaft is like 12000RPM and the standard aluminium one is 9000RPM. The Civillain cars not only get a steel drive shaft but have a shorter tailhousing on the transmission which makes the shaft 1" longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it is true! I just watched a long televised car chase where the woman driving the Xb in question was clocked at 118mph as she attempted to evade capture.

Of course, Crown Vics can go a lot faster, but who could've guessed an Xb could go that fast.

And, yes, they flipped her car around (several times) and finally got her.

Good job CHP! (and kudos to Scion, too!
11.gif
)

Car Chase Link

Tail wind and going down hill was her friend.

Not THAT much faster...

21.gif

Some of the older ones went up to 131. Not a whole lot of difference. The problem for the vic is the driveshaft is so long maximium RPM of the 'shaft is what keeps it held back. The MY2000 CVPI had a the 3.55 differential standard but had a Alcoa Aluminium Metal Matrix (AMMX) drive shaft which allowed a 130ish limiter. If I remember right the maximum RPM of a AMMX shaft is like 12000RPM and the standard aluminium one is 9000RPM. The Civillain cars not only get a steel drive shaft but have a shorter tailhousing on the transmission which makes the shaft 1" longer.

how long are the vics ds? 9 and 12K rpms sound way too much. Most 3" AL shafts have a critical rpm in the 6-7000rpm range..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back