1st Car Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Pat in Speedway:
...tan interior, pretty basic, but that's what we expected. I'll update you in 5 years!
lol.gif

Basic is good. Options it doesn't have won't ever need maintenance.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pat in Speedway:

I found it to be a little less than peppy as my wife's Corolla, but I attribute that to having more miles on the engine. Plus, it could just need a tune-up, etc. Anyone know the HP rating for that year?

I believe it's right around 100 even for the 1.6L and maybe 108-112 for the 1.8L.

Of course, the automatic is going to sap power away if you got an automatic.

It's a "momentum car" you need to schedule your acceleration and be patient. Or she will.

The newer 1.8L in the current generation cars is a bit more powerful.

I too am amazed at how quiet my '94 Prizm with 187,8xx miles is. It's as quiety as my '06 Scion tC, and quieter than oilbabe's 02 Camry with the noisy alternator bearing.

1999ish Mazda Protege

Handles better than the Corolla, better build quality than the Sentra, cheaper than either the Civic or Corolla.

Or maybe a slightly older 626?

Zoom Zoom

I paid the equivalent of about $1500 US for a 1994 Mazda MX-3 GS V6 as my winter car and put another $1000 or so into it. I would buy another Mazda in a heartbeat.

I drove a 1996 Corolla for 4 years. Well built car that handled like a pig in a burlap sack and generally overpriced in the used market

Yup, it is the 1.6 ATX. I didn't realize the HP was rated that low. Not a big deal though. She's going to mainly drive it in town. But I did notice the difference vs. the 130hp Corolla of my wife's. So with the 1.6, there isn't the EGR issues?

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:

quote:

Originally posted by rjundi:

Not exactly bargains and could have died at any moment. No thanks.

And you honestly think any similar domestic model would be in better shape at that age, mileage, and locale? I've watched very well maintained Cavaliers and Neons fall apart at less than half that mileage.

There are no free lunches at any price point. But some lunches taste better than others.

To me, for the same year and milage, imported ones may be better. However, for the same money, imported ones, especially toyota and honda are always the worst buys.

I suspect the deal may be sealed, but here's my input:
She'll get in a wreck in the next three years. Ask any insurance actuary, young new drivers aren't a good gamble.
Get the heaviest vehicle feasible. Any Buick or Olds without that stinking 3.1 Liter is heavy enough to be very safe.
A used Crown Vic can be had cheaply, and those things have a LOT of life in them... and can save a lot of life. I got an 8-yr-old Grand Marquis with 135K for $1650, and it got me through 40K before it needed anything substantial.. at that price, you could just get her another one in three or four years; she'll likely buy a replacement car shortly after she graduates and gets a real job anyway.
Anyway, I'm sure you'll make a wise auto decision, like most BITOGERs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back