1st Car Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Buford T. Justice:
On average, most women hate manual transmissions so get her an automatic.

People have such a feeling of entitlement these days. Is driving a manual uuncomfortable when you dont know what your doing? yes! But does it make you a better driver? for sure!

My fiancee learned on a manual trans, and she drives nothing but them now. IMO, manual trans gives such a better understanding of the physics and operational considerations for driving... nobody is doing anyone a favor by letting them learn on an auto trans, IMO. People should generally drive manual trans vehicles, in fact, I bet a lot of the traffic issues would go away if people werent so disconnected and simple, that they think driving is little more than mashing the go pedal.

Do her a favor, let her learn and own a MT car. It might not be as comfortable, but shell be a better driver as a result, and will almost definitely have lower lifecycle costs on top of it!

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:

quote:

On average, most women hate manual transmissions so get her an automatic.

People have such a feeling of entitlement these days. Is driving a manual uuncomfortable when you dont know what your doing? yes! But does it make you a better driver? for sure!

JMH

You could use the same rational to not have car at all. To some people a car is a only tranportation appliance and there is nothing wrong with that.

This is true.. but if you choose to own something as complex and deadly as an automotive appliance, and choose to utilize this extremely powerful, potentially deadly appliance on the roads, interacting with other people with similarly powerful and potentially deadly appliances...

The fundamental understanding of motion, mechanics, and energy should be developed. I know, physics is optional in high school, and is uncool, so many kids dont take it.. but many kids (and thus by extension adults) are also HORRIBLE drivers.

I dont think anyone can argue that you have to have a lot better understanding of what is going on, and be a lot more connected to the operation of a MT automobile. This should be part of the learning process to devellop your ability to exercise the privledge of utilizing a transportation appliance upon the public roadways.

I get stuck behind and in front of too many idiots who just try to accelerate and jam on the brakes as much as possible. Much harder to do in a traffic jam if you have a MT.

JMH

I can see it now...

"Dad? Remember that car you bought me with the manual transmission? Well I was stopped on a hill the other day and rolled back into a police officer when I was trying to take off on a green light. He wasn't happy..."

in the USVI, there are routinely 10% grades on hills. My fiancee tells a story when we drive up one particular hill that is quite steep - that her father made hr stop on the hill and get the car moving up.

Since then, she can get the car started up any sort of hilly, curvy incline without issue.

Had she learned on an auto transmission, would she have any clue how to do anything but mash the gas harder???

JMH

If I were buying I would certainly look into a Buick LeSabre. We have had very good experience with the 2-3800 engine powered vehicles.

Tell your step daughter to go find her own car,
she can get it financed so she won't have to blow her savings.

You can supervise the event, but if you do it for her, she won't learn about responsibilty.

When my Dad bought my first car, it wasn't mine, it was his. I told him I wasn't driving a used car, who knew where it has been and what headaches it had, he bought me a new car. The catch was if I did any thing to the car, I had better be dead in an auto accident, cause living and dealing with him would be worse than death.

IMO, for a new driver the car should be agile and safe. Granted for $2-3k that doesn't leave a lot to choose from but I find most american cars downright scary to drive in emergency type situations.

Later model Cavaliers ('97 and up) are pretty reliable cars that can be bought cheap, but do not rate as high as some in crash tests. Pay for a CarFax, Avoid rentals, look for a well maintained one or two owner privately owned. There are so many out there you should be able to find a keeper.

I basically concur with what everyone else here is saying.

Based on my own limited experience, I'd say you can't go wrong with a Corolla. Find one whose owner kept service records, and since it will have 100k+ miles, it should have had the timing belt (+tensioners, etc.) replaced at some point. That would be the only sticking point I can think of unless something else important is obviously wrong with the car.

I'd start an Auto-Rx cycle after having a trusted mechanic give it a thorough inspection. (Since college is local, hopefully you, or she, can keep up with the short OCIs for the Auto-Rx.)

I was going to say the Volvo 240 like White said or the mercedes diesel like someone else said. I used to own a mercedes 240 SAFE care and will last forever if you take care of it but repair costs can be expensive. I was also going to say a used police crown victoria. A friend of mine found one with 80K miles for 3k bucks. It was in good shape, it got 21 mpg in the city which i thought was great for such a big powerful car. Those crown vics are basically bulletproof and very SAFE.

My 1996 Neon was a good first car. Just make sure to get a 1998-1999, or if it's an earlier model than that, see if the head gasket was replaced with an MLS one.

Know of several mid to late 90s Chevy Corsica, Olds Achieva, Pontiac Grand Am, and Ford Tempo/Merc Topaz that are doing well.
Any auto that old will need some careful checking over, of course.
New hoses, new serpentine belt(unless you know the miles) a transmission fluid and filter change, etc.. Look over brakes real well.
Maybe some issues with radio and door controls/handles.
New floor mats and a good clean up.
Be sure she knows how to check oil and tire pressure. Get an accurate tire gauge.
BTDT.

I can't figure out why a lot of guys here are recommending manual trannys for a person buying their first car. I think she will wind up hating it. Get her an automatic.

How about a Chevy S10 or a Ford Ranger? A lot of those Ford Rangers have the 3.0L "Vulcan" engine which many regard as bullet proof. S10s with the 4.3L are good too.

Car-wise, I would try to get a V-6. Ford Taurus cars would fit the bill perfectly. They are very good and usually come with a lot of options.

Be sure to check whatever vehicles you like with CarFax or AutoCheck. I like AutoCheck the best. You can run an unlimited amount of VINs for like 60 days for about $30.

Here are some results within 75 miles of 46224...

Ford Taurus
Chevy S10
Chevy Lumina
Pontiac Grand Prix

quote:

I can't figure out why a lot of guys here are recommending manual trannys for a person buying their first car.

Because that is how you best learn to DRIVE a vehicle, as opposed to "pointing and shooting" it.

A manual transmission forces a much more intimate connection between the operator and the engine, and forges a better, and ultimately more productive, understanding of the latter. It also forces a stronger sense of concentration on actually operating the vehicle, as opposed to its endless accessories and toys. Folks never fully appreciate the benefits of downshifting through a curve until they've driven a manual.

One other benefit for us old farts: I rarely see brand new drivers speeding or racing on a manual; they're too busy learning the clutch and trying not to stall out on launch.

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:

quote:

I can't figure out why a lot of guys here are recommending manual trannys for a person buying their first car.

Because that is how you best learn to DRIVE a vehicle, as opposed to "pointing and shooting" it.

A manual transmission forces a much more intimate connection between the operator and the engine, and forges a better, and ultimately more productive, understanding of the latter. It also forces a stronger sense of concentration on actually operating the vehicle, as opposed to its endless accessories and toys. Folks never fully appreciate the benefits of downshifting through a curve until they've driven a manual.

One other benefit for us old farts: I rarely see brand new drivers speeding or racing on a manual; they're too busy learning the clutch and trying not to stall out on launch.

cheers.gif

Exactly! Couldnt have said it better myself!

JMH

If going the Japanese route, I say stay away from Hondas and Toyotas - they hold too much value to be able to find a good deal. You would have to go older to find a car in that price range compared to a Mazda or Nissan.

Up until the last 2 or 3 years, automatics were not very common, here; majority of cars on the road were MT. MT is still dominant but, automatics are quite common, now, due to the worsening traffic in the cities, no doubt.

I laugh when I recall this incident. I remember when I was in the States and got my first car (in 2000). It was a little, used Nissan Pulsar, MT. A friend wanted to borrow it and I handed him the keys.

He came back a few minutes later, handed me back the keys, and said that he couldn't drive my car. I asked "Why?", and he said "I can't drive a stick". At that time, for me, it was perplexing. How could he say he can drive, but, yet, don't know how to change/shift gears?

Suffice to say, driving a stick shift in the States had its advantages; hardly anyone wanted - or should I say could - borrow your car!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back