1MZ-FE Rear Valve Cover Change - 299,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 221k on a 96 Camry. Had the gaskets replaced recently, and it looked surprisingly similar to these pics. My car has been on dino throughout it's life. Since 126k, I've been on 5-6k intervals.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
More stable than M1?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Most stable for the fun of it: PYB SAE 30 wt.

Not sure if M1 comes in a straight wt. Maybe it does but I havn't seen it. A straight wt. has the greatest stability.

More stable than M1?

Most stable for the fun of it: PYB SAE 30 wt.

Not sure if M1 comes in a straight wt. Maybe it does but I havn't seen it. A straight wt. has the greatest stability.

Technically an oil with no VII's has the greatest stability which means a straight weight or an oil that can satisfy the requirements to be labelled as both a straight or multigrade. Examples of such oils are AMSOIL 10w-30 and Redline 5w-30, both of which are VII-free so could carry the SAE 30 designation OR the respective multigrade specs that they meet.

Sometimes if you remove a cat with a crack in it, a skilled muffler shop can perform a weld to save a cat. However, this depends on where the crack is. I have also heard that when the cat is off the car, it should be bathed in certain chemicals to remove built up ash that reduce efficiency.

...I also had a new and improved rear cover and new style PCV valve ...

What is the new valve cover and PCV? Can you post the part numbers or where you got it/what it is?

I have a 2000 Sienna that runs great except for smoking like crazy and am about to do a sludge cleanup on it. I'd rather not put it back to the same flawed way Toyota made it and replace the cover and PCV with something that addresses the sludge issue so I'd like to find out what's available as an upgrade.

Thanks,

Ian

I found a replacement valve cover on O'Reilly's site, Dorman #275- 975 that has a screw-in PCV valve. Is that the one? Is it actually better than the stock one?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hawaiianian
What is the new valve cover and PCV? Can you post the part numbers or where you got it/what it is?Ian

I got it from my local Toyota dealer, their online/e-mail prices are close to other online dealers so I usually go there. I don't recall the part numbers but when the cover is looked up in the parts catalog it gives the new updated P/N for the cover and lists the different PCV valve and hose. Sorry I can't be of more help.

The difference is just a redesign of the baffle and overall gas path changes. It carries the same part number as the one used on later 1MZ-FE engines. There is no re-designed cover for the front only the back.

Originally Posted By: Hawaiianian
I found a replacement valve cover on O'Reilly's site, Dorman #275- 975 that has a screw-in PCV valve. Is that the one? Is it actually better than the stock one?

I saw that Dorman one too but the price was close enough to the Toyota OEM one that I didn't buy it. Who knows if it is the same. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Maybe it's better. Maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back