1999 Toyota Avalon w/Low Mileage Trans Slips When Cold

Do not use any type of LV fluid in that old spec transmission!
Use the Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle and add a bottle of LubeGard Red at the last fill.
One drain/fill is not sufficient, I personally do three, separated by 200 mile drives, to be sure that I have fresh fluid.
Although I do not fully agree to not run low viscosity fluids, I am a fan on castrol imv in older vehicles.

If it called for Dex III, why not use Dex VI which is backward compatible? Drain, refill, drive. Repeat 2 more times minimum. When the fluid on the dipstick looks like the fluid in the bottle, you're done.

I have owned many cars from 1999, 2000 era and still have one in my driveway (2000 Hyundai Sonata). All of them worked perfectly with the Castrol IMV and lasted about 200k miles. Heck, I used that even in Fords that were specified for Mercon V (when the Castrol Mercon V was missing from shelvs).

The newer spec fluids will just ask for trouble, for no real gains. They say it's "compatible" but that's just not true. Their viscosity is different and that's a fact.

Just get plain old DEXRON III type fluid and service it. My guess is some of the seals due to age are no longer able to assist in maintaining pressure and going thinner (LV) is not going to help your cause. Hopefully @clinebarger chimes in because I'm not a transmission expert but he is.

Last edited:
I'm Sure Dexron III is harder to get than Maxlife. I had a 98 Sienna which should be very similar. I used Maxlife and Mobil 1 ATF. Maxlife works like a champ. Get yourself a filter (aka strainer ) and replace that while you are at it. 21 years on the same fluid cannot be good regardless of the mileage.

Change the fluid and filter if it has one I don’t know on these. I’d use Castrol Transmax that’s what I use in my Toyota stuff. No issues at all.

Reactions: wdn
My lady's 98 Camry I did 3 drain and refills using Coastal DexMerc in it. It has been perfect.

I'd recommend using a Dexron III fluid in an older car like that Avalon or like my lady's 98 Camry.

Viscosity in my opinion is not the biggest concern... It is how the fluid is friction modified is what matters most. And those older Asian cars and trucks that took Dexron III in my opinion it would be best to just use a transmission fluid that is friction modified just like the fluid that went in them 20+ years ago.

Viscosity in my opinion is not the biggest concern... It is how the fluid is friction modified is what matters most.
That friction modifier action is reflected in the viscosity numbers.
Viscosity is the measurement of fluid's internal friction, can be conceptualized as quantifying the internal frictional force that arises between adjacent layers of fluid that are in relative motion:

Last edited:
This is what I ordered … , great price and $35 gets free shipping
Wrong fluid for that transmission. Everyone (that knows a bit about transmissions) tells you not to use a "modern" LV fluid in a transmission built 1998, but that's exactly what you did.
Whatever...

Wrong fluid for that transmission. Everyone (that knows a bit about transmissions) tells you not to use a "modern" LV fluid in a transmission built 1998, but that's exactly what you did.
Whatever...
As stated a hundred times here … Dex VI holds viscosity at temperature better than the old stuff. I’m not researching his stuff … I’m responding to others making the point that Dexron VI is backwards compatible
you can also compare to MaxLife viscosity

BTW: used to tow a 32’ park trailer with a 2500 GMC ~ would cook that old Dexron like bacon grease.
Most of us switched to Mobil 1 ATF back then … it’s still around

Last edited:
Whatever...
No need for the holier than thou "Whatever..." on a transmission fluid post. There are tons of transmissions running factory fill dexron that has sheared well beyond the viscosity of the modern fluids along with exhausted the benefit of the additives that are still shift just fine. It is likely Dex VI will work just fine and more than likely longer than any of the traditional fluids. When you look at the service intervals for most older cars and the shearing of dex 3, you're pretty much just refreshing the fluid to dex vi starting viscosity to then be sheared down again.

One BITOGr will suggest using Dexron3 which is probably the original spec for the car. No other BITOG'rs will however.
Unfortunately you cannot buy a fluid with that specification anymore
As stated a hundred times here … Dex VI holds viscosity at temperature better than the old stuff. I’m not researching his stuff … I’m responding to others making the point that Dexron VI is backwards compatible
you can also compare to MaxLife viscosity

BTW: used to tow a 32’ park trailer with a 2500 GMC ~ would cook that old Dexron like bacon grease.
Most of us switched to Mobil 1 ATF back then … it’s still around
It's even part of the DEXRON VI specification. And not only is it backwards compatible, it supersedes the previous license.

Reactions: 4WD
Unfortunately you cannot buy a fluid with that specification anymore

It's even part of the DEXRON VI specification. And not only is it backwards compatible, it supersedes the previous license.
I'm not arguing that Dexron III is the best choice in this particular application, but I just don't buy the idea that you can't get functionally identical Dexron III anymore. It's not the branding on the bottle that makes it work, and it's obvious that Valvoline, Castrol, etc. that made the stuff for decades didn't forget how to make it just because they can't license the name anymore.

Last edited:
I'm not arguing that Dexron III is the best choice in this particular application, but I just don't buy the idea that you can't get functionally identical Dexron III anymore. It's not the branding on the bottle that makes it work, and it's obvious that Valvoline, Castrol, etc. that made the stuff for decades didn't forget how to make it just because they can't license the name anymore.
Yeah, almost anything now has better base stock than the old Dexron III … exactly why many of us put Mobil 1 ATF in those older units …

Back