1999 Toyota Avalon w/Low Mileage Trans Slips When Cold

I have a family member's 99 Avalon with 32 K miles (yes, 32K) that has the A541E trans slipping when cold. It has been driven about 100 miles this past year. It will also not "creep" at idle when cold. When it is warm the there is no slipping, but shifts are a bit slow. There is also rumbling noise when cold. The trans fluid has never been changed , since this maintenance was base on mileage instead of time aging out the fluid. The fluid is up to level and is brown with some red . It does not smell burned.

How risky to drain and replace the fluid and not trash the trans ? The fluid is the Dex III ( obsolete , I know) The car is in pretty good shape and they'd like to keep the car for a few more years. If I do fluid change I would think a standard dex/merc and not the high mileage would be the best bet, since the HMs claim to have "extra cleaning agents" which may cause more problems.

I'd just use Maxlife ATF, although probably anything rated would work. Full flush. Not sure if worth removing the pan; I think the "filter" is actually a screen. But it may be worth the effort to check the magnets--I would expect them to be clean--if they are fuzzy then it's got issues.

If worried, after this flush do another flush in say 10k.

[And by flush I mean a full exchange of fluid, using the the lines going out to the cooler, so as to change as much as possible.]

Had a friend with shifting issues, he did a drain & refill several times and was good to go after that for 150k. So drain and refill would be my plan.

Nothing aggressive though, let the new fluid do any cleaning for you.

Take it for a good long drive before and after, and repeat in a few weeks.

I believe that Mercon VI is backward compatible, and in fact have been using it in the power steering on the 4Runner (Mercon II or III specified) for some time now.

Beats spending thousands on a rebuild if it's just the fluid.

One BITOGr will suggest using Dexron3 which is probably the original spec for the car. No other BITOG'rs will however.
I would go OEM fluid for they are backwards compatible and this tranny needs help in getting resuscitated, if Lazarus made an ATF that's what I'd suggest, but it doesn't ;) so I'd go OEM and then maybe later on with something else.

Do a quick drain and fill using OE fluid. What do you have to lose? And quite honestly it just might eliminate the issue.

I’d also take a look at your brake calipers and check for sticking...cars sitting that long/much, can drag a caliper causing transmission like issues. But that’s more a shot in the dark because you said it had sat that much.

It is very possible being it does this when cold the fluid is low. I would do as suggested do a drain and full and make sure the level is correct.

Don't use MaxLife as it's not the right fluid. If Toyota said DexIII, that transmission is almost certainly not pwm (pulse width modulation) and that's why it's DexIII - Toyota switched to TIV for pwm-modulated transmissions. The friction modification requirements are quite different. MaxLife is yet another generation ahead. I've had very poor results putting slipperier fluids (like T-IV), or slippery + thinner (like MaxLife) in non-pwm transmissions that originally used DexIII.

I would also add some SeaFoam to the transmission and drive it a bit and let it sit a little to clean and to condition seals before swapping the fluid. I've seen old, tired transmissions wake up just from this. BTW, the fill level is checked with the car running, not off like with engine oil.

I would swap it out via the lines to be efficient instead of draining and filling and making a nice Frankenmix of old and new fluid, guaranteeing a high percentage of old, bad fluid remains. Push eight or nine quarts through it and then see how it behaves.

RM European has nice Total DexIII on sale for $3.33/qt. I had other things to buy so shipping was free (free at $99). Might check there, but quality DexIII is not that expensive, I think Walmart has Valvoline in gallon jugs.

EDIT:

1) I just checked and 10qts of DexIII from RM european delivered was $44 ($10 shipping, no tax, no driving to go get it).
2) Do the PS system at the same time. It should take DexIII. Better yet, use this (crazy good deal), the ps systems in these run hot because of lack of airflow on the back bank (same reason not to neglect the oil change interval):

Last edited:
🤨⁉️

this is what LG ester is for
Agreed, but treat it before then after. Much more effective.

I'm a tremendous Lubegard fan and use it almost everywhere - including even differentials. But by the sounds of it, this transmission needs help.

Last edited:
Don't put any solvents in the transmission.

Have it scanned for stored/pending/active codes. Should be free at most autopart stores.

I would drain/refill with a quality Dexron compatible ATF. I don't care for Maxlife but it will work fine. I prefer the full viscosity ATF for older transmission. Valvoline sells an Import ATF. Castrol has an Import, Universal, and HighMileage ATF choices. Lubegard is optional and since you have some issues, seriously consider adding a bottle. On a fluid budget, ANY Mercon-V can be used and a better choice than DexronIII.

If the new fluid helps after some time, I would then drop the pan, change the filter(use only OE filter/gasket), and refill with the new ATF/lubegard.

As long as you have the correct level after the drain/refill, you will not trash the trans.

Post a video of the so-called cold slippage.

And, make sure you are checking the ATF level when at temperature, with vehicle running, while parked on a level surface.

Back