1999 Toyota Avalon 127,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to buy a 1999 Toyota Avalon with 127,000 miles tomorrow and would like some suggestions on which motor oil to use? I have been using M1 5w-30 in my wife's 2006 Toyota Sienna. Is PU going to do better in an older engine with this mileage? You are speaking to a novice, please any suggestions are very grateful.

Thanks,
Frank

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
I would first look in the oil fill opening and see if it's clean, dirty, sludge, varnish..then decide.

+1 AND POST PICS, then oil recomendations can be given

If it was going to be mine, it would get Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w-30, at 7500 mile OCI's.
49.gif

Baffle on valve cover may prevent you from seeing the top of the engine. Hopefully the current owner didn't clean the underside of the oil cap.

I would be concerned about leaks with full synthetic. I wouldn't go beyond a syn blend. .02.

I'd do a oil change and run Mobil Super 5000 and run it for 3K. Based on how often you plan on changing the oil and how quick you accumulate those miles I'd then determine my oil. The short oil change to do a quick clean and to get a feel for any consumption and leaks.

I would recommend the same oil you use already like Oldasco did. Will be easy to store any leftovers that way

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Baffle on valve cover may prevent you from seeing the top of the engine. Hopefully the current owner didn't clean the underside of the oil cap.

^^ This.

You can also check the upper part of the dipstick for light varnish, or baked on crud. Check both, and see if he has records of maintenance.

Otherwise, M1, Ultra or PP will be fine.

I would do a run to 3000 miles with PP 5w30 and then cut open the filter and see what you get. If the filter is not loaded with crud then go 4000 and repeat. Then 5000 and stay at 5000. PP will clean it up in 20-30,000 miles.

parroting that this is a very well known sludger engine. be VERY careful.

I would say checking the filter for buildup would be an excellent idea. A better idea would be to pull a valve cover or the oil pan before purchasing, but that probably won't happen. If you pull the valve cover and it's clean you should still stick to 5k synthetic runs for this engine. Pennzoil ultra would still be my top choice.

The Avalon is back spec'd for 5W-20 so I think M1 0W-20 would be a good choice.
The Sienna is back spec'd for TGMO 0W-20 and ideally that's the oil to use. At the very least the heavier M1 0W-20 would be a more optimum choice to the 5W-30 you're using currently.

After a closer review (little no name shop in town) of the Toyota Avalon it shifted kinda hard. After looking at the engine compartment closely there were leaks in different places. The mechanic recommended trying to get it for $1,600 or totally staying away from it. I decided to stay away from it even though the trade in value was over $2,000. The transmission sounded rough as you went from P to R and N to Drive. After all that I bought a 2012 Toyota Camry LE with 29,000 miles for $16,500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back