1999 Toro Wheelhorse 71197 17-44hxl drivebelts last a year, gas cap and headlights

Bleh, more a complaint and frustration

Not sure of a good part source for this thing.

I need a new gas cap as the one on here was plastic and blew in half when I had a full tank and it sat.
Also need a new lightbulb, looks like a 12v flashlight bulb that my father used to get packs of 12 for a dollar, none match, would love to replace with a brighter LED since the headlights are as bright as a weak flashlight.

Also the old Wheelhorse as long as I can remember has burned through a drive belt every year.

I can’t find any way to tighten it up and have when it jumps once it’s basically a lost cause after that.

In frustration I hammered the little peg guide beyond its max adjustment so it lightly rubs the belt and for now it can’t jump even though it burned a bit when it jumped off the first two times.
My hope is I can make it through the end of the season on the belt since you gotta tear the whole **** body off to replace it

I thought most used 1156 bulbs. Should post a picture of the bulb.

Parts should still be available if you have the part numbers from the manual. Much can be found with a google search.

when i had a wheel horse my local mom and pop wheel horse store got me any parts i needed, granted i had to wait maybe a week for some stuff but it could be had

For headlights that are actually useful, forget the stock system entirely and add some LED off-road light modules. The stock lighting system is likely AC, so you'll need to wire the new ones to the DC system.

Check that the pulleys are in line, that is the belt is in the same plane.

My other question is how to turn up the governor on this thing, neighbor has an identical looking mower and can run circles around me, would like to idle it up a bit.

Lesson is never get a CVT, the belt that fits is somewhat rare, and is an insta stretch with no idler.

Unless I can slide the motor or rear axle around it’s not really adjustable, at least without taking a maul to it.

I thought most used 1156 bulbs. Should post a picture of the bulb.

Parts should still be available if you have the part numbers from the manual. Much can be found with a google search.
Bulbs rare proprietary $20 7228

At idle the lights shut off, full speed they are dim

Last edited:
with no idler.
There is supposed to be an idler which presses in on the right side of the belt when the clutch/brake pedal is not pressed. When the pedal is pressed the idler moves out and slackens the belt so the drive and the brake aren't fighting each other. See parts diagram #34 on the site that Jeepman linked.

Perhaps some smart person tried to modify it in years past. The belt is not supposed to just stretch between the engine and the transmission.

Back