1999 Taurus PS fluid leak and whine

I replaced a leaking pump last year and it was fine for a while, then it started leaking elsewhere such that I can see and smell the smoke at a stop light as the leaking fluid hits the exhaust somewhere. It’s also whining again. Haven’t been underneath yet to see where it’s coming from, hoses or rack.

I drove it yesterday for the first time in 2 months and the whining was gone, but an hour later it came back. Does that mean the air worked its way out while sitting that long? And if you have a leak to the outside, does that mean you can also have air entering the system? The level in the bottle wasn’t low enough to suck air.

Is it an A1 Cardone? Or a rebadged A1 Cardone?

I put 2 A1 Cardone’s in my Jeep and they howled like crazy. Had to get one from the dealer.

Did you notice the fluid level in the reservoir going down? I'm guessing one of the hoses is bad. What type of clamps are on the hoses?

I’ve replaced pumps on these many times but if it’s Motorcraft then most likely not a pump again. I’d check the lines. Yes you could have air if there is a hole or something in the hose or line it might be letting air in.

Reactions: JC1
I'd whine too if I had to drive a '99 taurus. Is it a rack and pinion car? Check the rack seals if it is. Open the return line into a container and have an assistant turn the steering lock to lock a couple times as you add fluid at a faster rate than return into your bucket. Keep the return line higher than the pump. The sound of whining PS pumps is ubiquitous to the American driving experience nowadays. If it isn't too loud just keep topping off for the next ten years/100,000 miles.

Last edited:
Back