1999 Nissan Sentra, Schaeffers 5W40, 6455 miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This vehicle belongs to our member krholm. He can give any details. This mileage includes a trip from the East Coast to Arizona and Utah and back to the East Coast.
 -

cheers.gif

[ June 07, 2005, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

The above UOA is mine. I can't post pdf files so I had Vetteman get it put up for me. As you can see, the car is a 99 Sentra 1.6L, auto transm. The oil is Schaeffer's 9000 5W-40. The first UOA was Schaeffers 5W-30 Blend. Second was Schaeffers 15W-40 Blend.

This interval includes a trip of 6,229 miles from my home in the east to Arizona and Utah. This little engine had a good work out and pulled those steep grades quite well. It included a lot of unpaved desert roads.

Pablo, the lead levels are what you see on the report for three UOAs. This is NOT the car that had a coolant leak.

This is a Blackstone/Dyson report and Terry has done a magnificent job of bringing me to to par on this report. I'd recommend his services to any who want more from their UOA reports.

This car gave me 36.62mpg on the 6,229 miles journey with this 5W-40 oil. Last year I got 34.95mpg on my 6,020 trip with the 15W-40. This oil isn't hurting me any.

Benjamming: Hastings oil filter and I changed air filter mid OCI with a Fram. Since I had been driving under dusty unpaved desert conditions for a few days I inspected the air filter and changed it out with the new one I carried with me.

There are no oil leaks on this vehicle.

Drew,
My personal experience with them has been quite good. I own the 99 which this UOA is on. I also have an '02 that developed a coolant leak into the oil. This showed up in UOAs and was finally repaired on warranty. Other than that it has been a very dependable car.

I would presume that any driver who has been driving high performance cars could feel the Sentra is lacking in power. I don't feel that way about it. My reasons for having them were based on dependability and low fuel consumption, which is destined to become more crucial as time goes by.

My wife and I view it as a decent car.

I currently drive a 94 Corolla so believe me, I'm not going from a rocket ship into a Sentra! Are the Nissan 1.6L engines known for having head gasket leaks? Are the auto trannies decent? My Corolla is a 5 speed manual and I want an auto for the heavy traffic I drive in every day. I apologize for hogging your post. Thanks for the info!
cheers.gif

Drew,
Your comments and/or questions are welcomed by me. It was an '02 Sentra with the 1.8L engine that had the head gasket leak. I know of one other person on this forum that had one with the same leak. I checked the Nissan forums to see if this was a common problem and it wasn't mentioned on either of them at the time I was researching it.

Last year I changed the auto tranny fluid in the 99 Sentra over to Schaeffers ATF. I haven't had any problem with it. The factory fluid is still in the '02 with the 1.8L engine. I'm going to go with Mobil 1 ATF on that one.

As far as I understand, the Corolla has been a good car.

Thanks krholm for the info. Darn
banghead.gif
The Sentra I was lookin at buying sold today; it was a 99 1 owner with documented 3,000 mile oil changes and only 50,000 miles. The search continues. One more question; do the 1.6L have hydraulic lash adjusters? I really like the timing chain with hydraulic lifter setup that Nissan uses for most of their engines; really cuts down on maintinence.

Pb seems elevated in the first and most recent samples, even though Si looks very good on the latest one. Any explanation?

Drew, I'm not sure on those adjusters.

Jay, I am a bit disappointed with the elevated lead. I don't have an explanation.

Jay,
I just went back to Terry's interpretation. There is an explanation in his report to me. I had overlooked that as I responded to you above.

Again, I'd like to point out that Terry's service is well worth the little it costs to get his input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back