1999 Jeep Cherokee, Mobil 1 HM 10W-30 3k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
First sample. Oil is changed annually with a NAPA gold filter. Mileage is low, but this Jeep sees a lot of beach driving. Very pleased with results. I've chosen this oil specifically for it's A3/B3 ACEA rating.

Miles on oil 3,025
Miles on vehicle 125,636

Code:

ALUMINUM 3

CHROMIUM 3

IRON 12

COPPER 7

LEAD 5

TIN 2

MOLYBDENUM 70

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 3

BORON 104

SILICON 10

SODIUM 8

CALCIUM 2445

MAGNESIUM 18

PHOSPHORUS 640

ZINC 828

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2

WATER 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 395

SUS VIS 210ºF 63.0

cSt @ 212ºF 11.05

TBN 7.0

Fuel

Last edited:
With chromium around triple of what's typical and that it gets driven on the beach, some sand probably has gotten into the combustion chambers and caused extra piston ring wear.

how does your engine sound in your jeep i always hear those strait 6 engines ticking and making all sorts of noises but they seem to run to 300,000

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
how does your engine sound in your jeep i always hear those strait 6 engines ticking and making all sorts of noises but they seem to run to 300,000

It has what sounds like a rod knock or piston slap when hot, but it's had that noise for 60,000 miles and hasn't gotten any worse. I think the Mobil 1 HM has helped some, as the Havoline I used to run was pretty thin. When the engine is really working hard on the beach is when the knocking was most noticable and I haven't heard it lately.

Last edited:
UOA looks good, and I would extend the interval, but did you catch any hurricane swells?
smile.gif

32.gif

Timing was bad for me with NJ having the best winds when I was at work. Long Island had way more offshore days than NJ and was less flat during the summer. I should move.

-Dennis

32.gif

Timing was bad for me with NJ having the best winds when I was at work. Long Island had way more offshore days than NJ and was less flat during the summer. I should move.

[/quote]

We had a few decent swells, but not as good as the last two years. Katia was at the best and she gave us one day of head high+ glass that just happened to fall on a Thursday. Irene knocked out our power, blew over a few trees, and we got a couple hours of surf on the tail end. The best waves I personally caught were with Ophelia on the southern Outer Banks. 8 foot faces and thumping.

I was considering running this in my 1996 Honda Accord w/104,000 miles. I used it in my PT Cruiser (miss that car)and it returned some good UOA's. I ran it year round in sub-zero temps and never had a problem starting the "Cruiser". Is there any advantage to the Mobil 1 5W30 HM? I remember reading that the 10W30 had a LOWER pour point than the 5W30...better specs. too.

Right on. Ive got 6 Cherokees, 4 of which have the 4.0 Inline 6. I recently rebuilt my 99s 4.0, with only 139,??? miles on it at time of teardown. The ticking I was hearing was a wrist pin wearing a egg shaped hole in piston #2. I drove for more than 7,000 miles with this motor making that noise, and finally had enough. Could have shattered the piston on one of my Redline thrashings, or on a long trip. The motor went together very well, I used Sealed Power pistons and Hastings rings, after a Good, Smooth ball hone job, 24 hours of cylinder head porting and smoothing, Intake machining and throttle body boring. Mobil 1 HIGH Mileage 10w-30 and 10w-40 are two of my Favorites for Jeep 4.0s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back