1999 Grand Marquis Sales Training

It's a shame that Ford didn't choose to update and retain this venerable automobile. A modest update would sell right now.
Well, they did do the "Marauder" trim and while a nice looking car, there didn't appear to be a ton of demand for it. The big panther cars were great for fleet use (LEO, Taxi, Limo) but had clearly tanking sales outside of that realm due to not only overall declining sales of cars in general (people going to SUV's) but that most still buying cars aren't looking for ones the size of a Suburban.

The people that bought those cars new died off. How many people under 50 actually bought one new?

If a brand new one came up and I was in the market for one, I raise my hand. They don't need to sell 6 million of them, just like 25k. Niche automotive options should be a selling point.

Please note: The Wilfred Brimley signature edition option package is not available in combination with the Andy Griffith Limited Series Landau Roof...
o657pimyjd451.jpg

People forget that newer (at that time) production methods reduced the man-hours per vehicle number.
Nothing was going to stop that mudslide.

What puzzled me was that the rear wheel drive "car" vanished overnight except for the Caprice Classic and FCV/MGM.
Must've been a conspiracy.

What puzzled me was that the rear wheel drive "car" vanished overnight except for the Caprice Classic and FCV/MGM.
Must've been a conspiracy.
the 80s happened. FWD vehicles proved massively popular with consumers

That right there is the textbook example of "apples and oranges".

No one said I wasn't comparing kangaroos to whales. The point is that there are PLENTY of people here, within the sound of my text, that would buy a brand new Panther if offered.

It's the same mentality with the 5th gen 4Runner. Both are virtually bulletproof. If you care about ultra reliability vs. style or features, pick one of the two.

Well, they did do the "Marauder" trim and while a nice looking car, there didn't appear to be a ton of demand for it. The big panther cars were great for fleet use (LEO, Taxi, Limo) but had clearly tanking sales outside of that realm due to not only overall declining sales of cars in general (people going to SUV's) but that most still buying cars aren't looking for ones the size of a Suburban.
The Marauder trim was a good effort but the body was just too big and the styling too dated. People who love CVs/GMs don't love them for the giant body and out of date styling. I believe they're attracted by a tough car with commendable durability.

The CV/GM needed a complete redesign many years ago, new while retaining the best parts: Smaller (the size of a mid 60's Fairlane) but keeping adult size rear seating for 2 (at least), up to date styling, a choice of engines (the current Mustang engines would be fine). Keep the rear wheel drive and real spare tire. Focus on reliability/repairability. I don't know if they were galvanized but they should be.

I'd buy one (with a V8 of course). It would make a good stable mate for the Tesla.

The Marauder trim was a good effort but the body was just too big and the styling too dated. People who love CVs/GMs don't love them for the giant body and out of date styling. I believe they're attracted by a tough car with commendable durability.

The CV/GM needed a complete redesign many years ago, new while retaining the best parts: Smaller (the size of a mid 60's Fairlane) but keeping adult size rear seating for 2 (at least), up to date styling, a choice of engines (the current Mustang engines would be fine). Keep the rear wheel drive and real spare tire. Focus on reliability/repairability. I don't know if they were galvanized but they should be.

I'd buy one (with a V8 of course). It would make a good stable mate for the Tesla.
You are basically describing an E39 BMW sized car, and I'd agree in principle, but Ford did try and pull off that size of car with the Taurus and it didn't do very well. Of course the Taurus wasn't RWD, but I question how much that would have helped. The big Chrysler 300 wasn't much of a sales success despite meeting a lot of those criteria.

You are basically describing an E39 BMW sized car, and I'd agree in principle, but Ford did try and pull off that size of car with the Taurus and it didn't do very well. Of course the Taurus wasn't RWD, but I question how much that would have helped. The big Chrysler 300 wasn't much of a sales success despite meeting a lot of those criteria.
he’s describing the lincoln ls’ cancelled bigger brother

neither would fit under the ford or mercury brands, whereas the charger and 300 enjoy respectable sales to this day

I met up with Scotty at the local Wal-Mart and asked him about Panther love.

All he said was, 'That ain't no Toyota, is it?'

And he waved his hands a lot.

My Grandfather had a 2001, then a 2006 which was his last car. He stopped driving at age 96 and passed away at 98. The '06 was plum metallic with a light grey leather interior and fully loaded; a really nice smooth, quiet car. I took it down to the Ford dealer a few times for him for oil changes, and had high hopes of buying it someday. But, by the time he was ready sell, it had a big scrape down the side from an encounter with a column in the underground parkade, and a ton of door dings from other senior drivers from where they met for coffee every morning. Only 40,000 kms or so, but the body work and paint needed was not worth it.

Back