1999 Ford F250 - What Fluids?

My son recently inherited a 1999 Ford F250 (7.3 Diesel) two-wheel drive from his grandfather, with 64k original miles. 5 speed manual transmission.

Grandpa wasn't too keen on keeping the truck regularly maintained. He only had the engine oil and antifreeze changed by the dealer last year.

I informed my son he should change out all lubricating fluids, just to be safe.

What 15w40 and filter would you recommend?

Also, what about the trans fluid & the rear differential?

Thanks !

I think the consensus for the 7.3 is it doesn't matter what 15w-40 you run, you just need to change it more often than you'd think considering it takes almost 4 gallons of oil. No matter what I run in my 7.3 I change it at a maximum of 7000 miles and prefer to run no farther than 5000 miles.

Trans fluid is Mercon V and you get ~6 quarts out when you drain it.

Rear diff is 75w-140. You may want to figure out if the truck has a limited slip diff in the rear or not to know whether you need the limited slip additive or just get some Mobil 75w-140 LS that already has additive in it. It won't hurt if you don't need it. Been a long time since I did this but I think it takes 4 quarts?

Fuel filter is pretty important as it is also the water separator.

I'd be double checking all the couplers, radiator hoses, belts, etc.

Hope your son is ready to shell out $$$$ for fuel. The 7.3 excels at converting money into diesel noises.

Back