1999 Ford F150 64,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought this used truck. There was not any service information with it. It has a 4.6 liter V8. The oil on the dipstick looks clean and it runs very good. I am curious as to what is the best oil to use with this truck. I am not the brightest bulb on the tree when it comes to lubrication so I am open to suggestions.

Welcome to the forum.

Here's a good place to start:

Motorcraft 5w-20
Motorcraft FL-820S

Both are available on the shelf at your local Wal-Mart for a very attractive price.

Run for the factory severe OCI (3000 miles), get an analysis, and make adjustments from there.

Good luck!

I have a 98 F150 I bought last spring. Slightly more miles than yours but everything worked and it had all the service records from local Firestone and Ford dealership. Great running truck, but not great MPG. On the other hand I expected that since it's an XLT with the towing package. So nice to not have to rent a truck when I need to haul something and nice to have an extra vehicle around. Very comfy to drive and easy for me to get in and out of.

Last May I changed the oil and used Mobil 5000 5W-30 and a Motorcraft FL-820S filter, but will probably use the Napa Gold filter and Pennzoil Plat. or Mobil 1 oil next time.

I have the same 4.6 engine in my Mercury. I have used mostly Pennzoil Plat. 5W-20 in it for the last 100K miles. It is now at 135K miles and runs great.

Last edited:
Motorcraft FL-820s and 5w-20 of your choice. 4.6s are very reliable engines (I'm partial to them as you can see; I have one, too.) They are not too picky on oil anyway. I usually run synthetic blends in mine.

I know the engine as well see sig
wink.gif
lol

Originally Posted By: trx250x92
Motorcraft FL-820s and 5w-20 of your choice. 4.6s are very reliable engines (I'm partial to them as you can see; I have one, too.) They are not too picky on oil anyway. I usually run synthetic blends in mine.

Just curious here. I just picked up a 2000 Grand Marquis with the 4.6L and 87,000 miles. The maintenance guide and sticker under the hood call for a 5w-30 oil. Did Ford back spec these engines to 5w-20?

In my 2002 F-150, 4.6, for the first 60,000 miles I only ran Motorcraft 5W-20 and the FL-820S filter. My OCI's ranged from 5,000 miles early on to 7,500+ miles as the miles accumulated. I just switched to Havoline 5W-20 synthetic and a Fram Ultra synthetic oil filter. I'll use the filter for 2 oil changes. I switched to the Havoline synthetic because it was about the same price as the Motorcraft oil at an Advance Auto oil special. Looking in the oil fill the valve train is almost spotless. My wife's 2005 4.6 Explorer with about 165,000 miles on it ran Motorcraft 5W-20 and the FL820S filter for 5,000 mile OCI's for the first 75,000 miles. It was under extended warranty. After that I run various full synthetic oils and filters for 8,500-9,500 mile OCI's. It's also clean inside the valve train. Neither burn any measurable amount of oil during the OCI and the oils always come out no darker than a dark amber.

Whimsey

I would recommend the Fram Tough Guard TG2 for high efficiency media for your new used truck.

You can run any 5w20 oil you find that meets the minimum API spec. I like Pennzoil gold or Maxlife too.

Welcome and great question.

In addition to the above responses, here are my thoughts:

I've put about 200,000 combined miles on 5.4L's since 1998. Very tough motor. I've had good luck with Motorcraft's FL820-S and full syn 5w-30 or 5W-20 depending on model year.

5,000 mile OCI's no matter how much I tow, 4x4, snow, sand, whatever. Oil analysis is great and motor internals (what I can see) are spotless.

That said, Ramblejam nailed it. Or go full syn and do what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back