1999-2002 Mercury Cougar

I'm interested in getting one of these and have driven a 2002 and a '99. The two I drove were not exactly what I was looking for, so I'm still looking. Any suggestions on these? Do most of them have problems with the sunroofs? Thanks!

Avoid it,have lots of transmission problems.It uses the Ford Contour automatic transmission which is a piece of JUNK.Most transmission shop will not touch or rebuild this transmission and Ford is picky on it.The ground wires have to be in the right spot of the drum inside the automatic transmission will melt.The drum inside is plastic.The body is a modified Contour body.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
note i was the 2nd post, and i still hold that opinion of those cars. honestly with that car, make sure there is enough gas in it to let the whole car burn when you torch it. run, run far and run fast.
That's the funniest post I've seen in a while!

The one in my friend's is grinding unless you shift it slowly. Then again, his is beat to a pulp. I'm not that impressed with the car for daily use.

ET16

So, I drove another, an '02, and I liked it quite well. I may make a low offer, as the owners seem very eager to sell. I'm hesitating, though, based on the information that you all have posted.

It's a Ford Contour with a different body. They're not known for being trash, they're not known for being reliable. Go with your gut on this one.

ET16

So, I offered $3,600 for the'02 I saw. Owners had been asking $5,500; said price was based on KBB criteria. They countered with $4,200. That's too high for me, but I may go to $3,800. I hope I don't regret it!

Hope not! I see a lot of them around my folk's house in upstate NY. No rust on any of them. Even the beat-to-junk one my friend bought.