1999-2002 Honda Accord LX 2.3 Caliper Guide Pin Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a fairly exhaustive search and have seen confident replies for opposite views of installation of the fluted pin, and round one with bush guide pin installation in the front brake calipers. Some say that the pin with the bush has and "L" on it and it that signifies it goes on the bottom. The fluted, or pin with 3 flats has a "G" on it, and those that say the one with the "L" goes on the bottom don't know what "G" means.

Incorrect pin install reportedly can cause shudder and Honda has released a TSB to switch the pins to fix it. I can't find the TSB.

The pins on the 4 cylinder cars screw directly into the caliper and bracket and don't have a separate retention bolt.

I don't understand why people make such a bid deal out of this. Changing the pins on an already installed caliper takes all of 5 minutes or less, if there is any sign of problems, just move the pins and note the orientation for future jobs.

I bet that more problems are caused by using an incorrect grease, which swells the rubber bushing, than wether the pin with the bushing is on top vs the bottom.

Originally Posted by ledslinger
Because it's brakes.

Originally Posted by ledslinger
Incorrect pin install reportedly can cause shudder
16.gif

"L" = "leading", yeap, at least that's what I came to the conclusion of after looking at the brake parts diagram based on our '99 Accord EX. Based on the caliper position/orientation, on the front, that means TOP and on the rear it means BOTTOM.

Correct. Pins listed as "A" are marked "L" and are leading pins, on the rear that would be the lower.
Putting the pins in the wrong position not only can cause rattling noises but eventually cause pin sticking and sticking caliper symptoms.

I remember it by caliper in front of rotor leading is upper and caliper behind rotor leading is lower.

My son and I put new pads and rotors on all 4 corners of our Accord recently. We'll be pulling the front wheels and moving the pins because I'm confident we put them in the lower positions at all 4 corners.

I found an old book that describes the pins as Leading and Guiding. That would explain the "L" and the "G". The way I understand it the guiding pin is commonly fluted which fits what we have here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back