1998 Tahoe- AC's blowing warm air...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title pretty much says it all... my 98 Tahoe (5.7 V8), is blowing hot air instead of cold. I tried to charge the system with some R134a, but, it didn't seem to take the charge. Anyone have an idea of what might be wrong?

Get your system pressure-tested first before you do anything silly.

Casually sticking in a can of recharge R134 w/o knowing your system's condition is a silly move.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Get your system pressure-tested

You should be able to find a shop to check for freon leaks for 20-30 bucks. Since it's GM I'll say leaking compressor, might just be low though.

Could just be a bad pressure switch. Adding to a full system will do more harm than good.

Is the Compressor clutch engaging?

Is the suction line cool or cold?

What are the low AND high side pressures? The auto parts stores sell a can that only has a low side guage. These are useless. The high side pressure is more important than the low side.

Well, i took it to the ac shop... turns out, the compressor wasn't engaging on account of a bad relay. It also was low on freon, but a full charge and $45.00 later, it's blowing ice cubes.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Checked and diagnosed the system [time], replaced the relay [parts and labor], charged the system [again parts and labor], and only charged you $45?????

I will bring all my work there and resell it for profit.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Checked and diagnosed the system [time], replaced the relay [parts and labor], charged the system [again parts and labor], and only charged you $45?????

Wow, I'll be right behind you!

AD

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

LOL... but actually, here in Eastern NC, that's about the going rate (if not a touch high), for that kind of work. I mean, after all, you can get a transmission put in, parts and labor, for $200, so nearly $50 for AC work is a little high.

I am glad for your reasonable costs!
It would not cover the cost of the parts, let alone the lights, lease, insurance, etc. for most of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back