1998 Saturn SW2

Often cars that old can be very hard to get parts for.

There were a couple of common problems that those had. One of them was a sensor on the engine. My brother had one with that problem and the proper dealer fix involved a lot of work, but there is a quick fix where you break the old part to get it out allowing a small plastic tab from it to fall into the engine, and then modify the new part by removing a small bit of it so you can install it from outside the engine, and then JB Weld the new part in place and do not start it for about a day so the JB Weld has plenty of time to cure. He did the easy JB Weld fix and drove it like that for many years after that. Check out the forums about them and see what the common problems are.

Last edited:
Often cars that old can be very hard to get parts for.

There were a couple of common problems that those had. One of them was a sensor on the engine. My brother had one with that problem and the proper dealer fix involved a lot of work, but there is a quick fix where you break the old part to get it out allowing a small plastic tab from it to fall into the engine, and then JB Weld the new part in place and do not start it for about a day so the JB Weld has plenty of time to cure. He did the easy JB Weld fix and drove it like that for many years after that. Check out the forums about them and see what the common problems are.

That one MAY BE a "Price is right, hey, we are neighbors" car.

That or some Honda.

The Subaru is jerking my chain right now and if I can't get justice, it gets to sit there for awhile. That's what brought all this on.

I did get my $600 and I need a car......

Would you buy? Specifically, this one: https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/d/lakehurst-1998-saturn-sw2-wagon/7255087097.html

Seriously considering buying a car just to get around in.

It's either this or a $2000 2000 Honda Civic, next town over...
Since that car is up north, i would check very carefully, where the rear trailing arms meet the body. If the meeting point is rusted out, the car is a parts car.

See my post below in reply 12 for a picture

Back to work for now, I will know more tomorrow.

Now watch the Subaru clear up when I get there.....

Since that car is up north, i would check very carefully, where the rear trailing arms meet the body. If the meeting point is rusted out, the car is a parts car.

P343B​

I don’t understand what "P343B" means. Otherwise.. yes, excellent post.

I don’t understand what "P343B" means. Otherwise.. yes, excellent post.
I edited it right after you quoted it. look back at my post.

Also most saturns use oil, its low tension piston rings. Piston soaks will not help. As long as they don't run low or out of oil they do fine. Question is, did the previous owner let it run low and is now ditching it. My sons burned a quart in 400 miles with no visible smoke, except on startup. I t had good compreession, just weak oil and middle piston rings. I rebuilt it.

Here is the pic.
DSC05378_zpsh5slwyea.jpg

The other common problem is the coolant temp sensor. They were polymer up until late 01. They would leak and fail causing the car to run pig rich. They freqently leaked enough to corrode the connector from the harness, so a lot of times that has to be replaced too, soldered in.

After late 01 they were brass. I used standard motor products replacements.
newer.JPG

I had 3 saturns including 2 wagons. Overall 2 were reliable cars easy to work on and parts were dirt cheap. One (unfortunately the 5 spd wagon) had a fan tom knock sensor issue that would tell the computer to put it in some sort of limp mode and take all the power away. I ended up selling it as is. Then I got my 2007 Mazda 3 hatch and it is light years better than a saturn in every way and they can be had for $3k...

Saturns do tend to burn oil, but I found 3k changed with cheap conventional oil helped a lot.

My mom has 3 of them. Her 95 had 360k till the chain slipped. Now it's a race car. There cheap and easy to fix. Parts are plentiful. There known for burning oil. Her sl2 engine is new. I bought it knocking and rebuild it. Doesnt leak or burn a drop. The other sl1 gas 200k and runs of, was neglected most of its life. I think with basic maintenance you'll get lots life out of them

eh, as good as you'd be able to get for $1000. Anything in that price range will need something

The $2000 Civic is worth checking out too, though.

You might also like this Echo

or this Cavalier or this Aveo

My '92 Saturn burns very little oil, maybe a half quart between oil changes. The AC is ice cold and still gets 38 mpg. Not bad for a car that is eligible for an Antique plate next year.

See my post below in reply 12 for a picture

This, also open the rear doors and check underneath the rubber toppers. The Saturn is easy to fix if a bit needy. The big thing is the auto, they tend to get funky if the ATF hasn't been changed fairly regularly. The good news was that it was easy to do with a drain plug and a spin-on filter. As far as oil, mine burned about 1 qt. every 3K miles. Hardly excessive, some claim using a thicker synthetic oil like 0/5W-40 tended to help a lot...

I do not know if this applies to a 1998 Saturn station-wagon, but our 2001 Impala had rusted out metal brake lines and fuel lines towards the back of the car and pre-bent gm lines were no longer available from the dealer. I found pre-bent fuel lines in Canada and the shipping was very expensive because of the length. And the brake lines had to be custom bent. Just replacing those two items cost $1,000 so you might want to give the brake and fuel lines a good inspection before you buy it.

Wasn't Saturn GM?

All the oil burn talk... 0W-40 ????

My Subaru is having.. oily cat?

I got $600 so now to make the right or best decision in a messy situation..

I like the Honda but I got $1000 not $2000...

And IS THIS OIL SMOKE OR FUEL SMOKE OR BOTH?
20210106_134808.jpg

Back