1998 Nissan Frontier 4x4, ka24de, GC 0w-30, 10,046 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSV

Vehicle: 1998 Nissan Frontier 4x4
Engine: KA24DE DOHC Inline 4

Oil: German Castrol 0w-30
Oil Filter: Napa Gold 1344 (oversized)* changed filter at 6000 miles to Nissan OEM
Oil Capacity: 4.2 qts. +
Air Filter: Nissan OEM
Magnetic drain plug - stays very clean, not covered like a tranny plug

Miles on Engine at time of sample: 78,871
Miles on oil sample: 10,046
Make up oil: 1/8th qt. for filter change, otherwise no consumption

Sample Date: 6/24/04
Lab: Blackstone

Additives: 2oz. Lube Control at 3000/6000/9000 miles. 3 oz. Fuel Power every other tank. 1 tank of gas was treated with 3M #8813 Fuel System Cleaner.

***First number is from the 10,046 mile run, second is from 1st run with GC at 5,150 miles.***

Aluminum: 1 2
Chromium: 1 1
Iron: 7 8
Copper: 8 3
Lead: 6 8
Tin: 0 0
Molybdenum: 0 11
Nickel: 0 0
*Manganese: 37 8*
Silver: 0 0
Titanium: 0 0
*Potassium: 24 0*
Boron: 5 12
Silicon: 7 4
Sodium: 8 6
Calcium: 2675 2987
Magnesium: 94 101
Phosphorus: 656 766
Zinc: 801 969
Barium: 0 0

SUS @ 210F: 63.8 64.6 {should be between 58-65}
Flashpoint: 410 375
Fuel: Antifreeze: 0 0
Water: 0 0
Insolubles: 0.4 0.3
TBN: 3.6 4.1

Vehicle use: Daily commuter, 100 miles per day, 85% highway, lots of long climbs and descents 7700 feet altitude to 4300 and back up, most climbing done in 4th gear at 3750 RPM @ 70mph.

I have been hauling bedfulls of large rocks for some landscaping I'm doing.

* I wish I knew what these numbers mean but I'll wait for Terry to interpret these. Other than Manganese and Potassium I'm happy as this engine is notorious for beating the snot out of oil.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
Overall, it looks like GC did a terrific job.

Definitely! And many people wondered if it could do 10k intervals, and this clearly shows it can.

T-Keith,

Yes I used 2 oz. of LC every 3000 miles.(3K/6K and 9K) No initial dose.

I won't quote Terry or anything but the manganese and potasiam are most likely not from a coolant leak.

The single digit wear numbers for 10,000 miles has me pretty psyched about GC and LC.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
Overall, it looks like GC did a terrific job.

Definitely! And many people wondered if it could do 10k intervals, and this clearly shows it can.

It looks like he can go a few more thousand miles. The impressive thing is that the TBN is 3.6 after 10,000 miles.

Did you use LC on the 1st 5K run, though??
dunno.gif

LC helps every oil, but the question is, how does GC do alone? Is it required with GC?

Awesome results either way.

haley10,

I did not use any additives on the first 5,150 mile run.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Sorry, I meant to say the first run. If you did use in on the 10k oil, but not the 5k oil, then alot of credit should go to the LC. Flash point is higher on the 10k run and wear levels are very close.
worshippy.gif

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
If you did use in on the 10k oil, but not the 5k oil, then alot of credit should go to the LC. Flash point is higher on the 10k run and wear levels are very close.
worshippy.gif

-T

I am not sure we can draw that conclusion from these statistics. GC obviously likes LC, but we don't know how it would do without it under the same conditions.

The difference in Flash Point is something else. I don't think LC affected this.

LC may have kept insoluble in check, but then again GC may be some magic stuff on it's own?

LC may have kept insoluble in check, but then again GC may be some magic stuff on it's own?

This is what I've been thinking. The LC kept everything nice and clean but the GC 0w-30 is some pretty tough oil. MolaKule has gone into detail about why this engine is unusually brutal on oil yet the GC seems to maintain its viscosity and TBN really well.

For this engine (and others like it) an A3 rating is worth looking for.

patriot.gif
cheers.gif

I agree haley10, more UOA results would be great. But this combo is obviously a good one. Would be great to know how much is due to GC and how much credit should go to LC.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back