1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE I6 140k oil recommement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
I dunno, it's a very similar engine to the 4.0, very similar design, same 4800RPM redline, flat tappet everything.

It's just about identical, but has a somewhat different torque curve. Neither engine needs any sustained bout much above 3200-3500 rpm. With taller tires you're cruising at (probably) some unsafe speed for piloting a highchair on wheels.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
By the way, the one sure way to hurt a 4.0 is to over-rev it consistently. They DO NOT like to wind out to high RPM, and besides there's just no point. They make all their torque below 3600-4000 anyway.

lol.gif
You have to wheel up here in the snow. They get rev'd.
Peak torque is about 3300-3400 rpm, but a 4.0L still makes over 200ft/lbs torque from just over 1000 rpm all the way to 5000rpm.

As far as Jeep 2.5L's go, they're junk and pretty much worthless off road.

Quote:

The only thing that a 2.5 can't do is whip meats at high speed. That's only necessary if you're working on mud with no bottom to it ..and other places where HP rules. Otherwise, the standard (what is it?) 2.6:1 transfer case in low gear pretty much makes traction limit its ability to do anything that any other rig can. It won't excel on dunes or slick rock where you need higher tire speeds.

I was just being a little sarcastic (see sig). I like my squirrels, because with them I don't break as much.

The late model t-case ratio is 2.72:1 (Rubicon 4:1), but the Dana300 is 2.6:1.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
By the way, the one sure way to hurt a 4.0 is to over-rev it consistently. They DO NOT like to wind out to high RPM, and besides there's just no point. They make all their torque below 3600-4000 anyway.

lol.gif
You have to wheel up here in the snow. They get rev'd.
Peak torque is about 3300-3400 rpm, but a 4.0L still makes over 200ft/lbs torque from just over 1000 rpm all the way to 5000rpm.

That is completely untrue. With the T-Case in 4-Lo the 2.5L has plenty of torque to do anything the bigger sixes can do. It's plenty fine offroad. But on road, it is slower to accelerate than a one legged dog on xanax. The T-case is I belive a New Process NP231 with I think a 2.6:1 lo range ratio.

I kid you not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rKA6c9Wj7s

Oh it will do 75 on the highway, and is fairly smooth, and isn't wobbly or anything like that, but it takes a lot of effort to do it (floored). You can basically see the gas gauge dropping on the highway, lol The 3.73:1 axle gearing definitely doesn't help, it could really use some 4.56 or even 4.88s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of winding out 4.0 Jeeps. I once had the honers of testing new Jeep Cherokee sports out. These were pretty much stripped down basic package with a/c, 4.0, and a 5 speed manual. The would fly, and I remember very well winding them out to the redline.. it did not take long for it to redline, and as far as hurting it I think the problem with winding this engine up is holding it at high rpm. If you stomp it, hold it to redline, then change I don't think it hurts like winding it out while offroad at a high sustained rpm. However these were new, and very few miles were tested, so I have no idea on the life of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: rclint
Speaking of winding out 4.0 Jeeps. I once had the honers of testing new Jeep Cherokee sports out. These were pretty much stripped down basic package with a/c, 4.0, and a 5 speed manual. The would fly, and I remember very well winding them out to the redline.. it did not take long for it to redline, and as far as hurting it I think the problem with winding this engine up is holding it at high rpm. If you stomp it, hold it to redline, then change I don't think it hurts like winding it out while offroad at a high sustained rpm. However these were new, and very few miles were tested, so I have no idea on the life of the vehicle.

On the highway in 3rd gear with TCC locked, it will be about 2400 RPM. But as soon as you hit even a slight incline, or occasionaly on flat stretches, it will downshift to 2nd and will sit at about 4400 for 30 seconds or more until it gets back up to where it wants to be. In hawaii, which is VERY hilly, on the highway it would be floored and would sit at the redline of 4800 to keep moving.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guy know what ? after I pick up 2 big jug of otella T6 Synthetic 5W-40, I went back inside again to check out the air filter ( its fram and its cost $16 + ) I might spend 4 dollar more for the wix. but anyway THIS GUY START PUT UP UNBEATABLE SALE OF QS HORSE POWER FULL SYN FOR $15 AND PENNZOIL HM FOR $15 !!!!!
33.gif
. I was standing their for about 15 min, should I return and pick up 2 jug of QS horse power, but i end up going home, then it kinda bother me about the QS HP, so I went back and pick up 3 jugs of QS hp for 15 each
thumbsup2.gif
its gonna last me awhile now ^^.

pretty good stuff. i probably have about 40 qts of it myself. Its still 20 dollars here ,just checked earlier today on my way home from work. I always take a stroll thru the oil when im a WM.

Well that doesn't bode well for our jeep 2.5L because in order to get any acceleration out of it winding it out is necessary.

The 2.5 doesn't mind winding up so much- its got quite a bit shorter stroke than the 4.0

Originally Posted By: Zaedock

Not true! The 2.5 crawls with the best of them. Just gotta gear it right. If "offroad" means "mudding", then maybe you're right... but that's not my idea of fun.

Originally Posted By: Peter_Smith
You guy know what ? after I pick up 2 big jug of otella T6 Synthetic 5W-40, I went back inside again to check out the air filter ( its fram and its cost $16 + ) I might spend 4 dollar more for the wix. but anyway THIS GUY START PUT UP UNBEATABLE SALE OF QS HORSE POWER FULL SYN FOR $15 AND PENNZOIL HM FOR $15 !!!!!
33.gif
. I was standing their for about 15 min, should I return and pick up 2 jug of QS horse power, but i end up going home, then it kinda bother me about the QS HP, so I went back and pick up 3 jugs of QS hp for 15 each
thumbsup2.gif

Stick with the Rotella. The 4.0 loves that stuff.

Not true! The 2.5 crawls with the best of them. Just gotta gear it right. If "offroad" means "mudding", then maybe you're right... but that's not my idea of fun.

That is completely untrue. With the T-Case in 4-Lo the 2.5L has plenty of torque to do anything the bigger sixes can do. It's plenty fine offroad. But on road, it is slower to accelerate than a one legged dog on xanax. The T-case is I belive a New Process NP231 with I think a 2.6:1 lo range ratio.

A NP231's low range is 2.72:1. The Dana 300 and NP207 had a 2.6:1

JEEBUS GUYS!!! Check out my sig will ya. Didn't you read my reply to Gary's post?!?
You guys are lucky I didn't keep going with this.
lol.gif

2.5L's suck....
crackmeup2.gif
oh man!

Originally Posted By: RageOfFury
33.gif
thumbsup2.gif

He's driving a 4.0L Jeep, he cannot afford to drive back to exchange the oil again. The QS he bought will work just fine.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: RageOfFury
33.gif
thumbsup2.gif

He's driving a 4.0L Jeep, he cannot afford to drive back to exchange the oil again. The QS he bought will work just fine.

you forgot I still got mustang gt and camaro z28
banana2.gif
. Next one properly 5.9l jeep 4x4 ^^ , if you worried about gas moneys, free gas babe !!!

Last edited:
Was thinking T6 5-40 for my 318 Jeep, but my next change won't be until spring when it's not cold anymore. How about Rotella 15-40 instead? It calls for a 5-30 or a 10-30 in manual.

Originally Posted By: wickerham
Was thinking T6 5-40 for my 318 Jeep, but my next change won't be until spring when it's not cold anymore. How about Rotella 15-40 instead? It calls for a 5-30 or a 10-30 in manual.

few year back I did run those high weight oil, on 5w 10w 30 oil weight engine, I would never ever run more then wat factory recomment. Rotella 5w40 sound ok, but 15w is not a good ideal, unless it spec for it. I think stick with 5w or 10w is best. BTW im not big fan of cold start engine with heavy weight oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wickerham

Personally, I don't think there is a need for 15-40 in the Jeep 318. I doubt you would hurt anything, but I would stick with Rotella 5-40.

Didn't notice if this was mentioned or not.... I remember years ago when I frequented here more often there was a lot of buzz about flat tappet cams and the new emissions friendly oil formulations (I believe the new formulations applied only to most 0w20-5w30 grades.). The theory being that the lower levels of anti-wear additives would have a noteworthy effect on flat tappet cam follower wear where contact area is very low and pressure can get very high.

The "solution" was to make sure to avoid those new formulations and stick with "old-school" formulations that still had copious amounts of zddp. As it would turn out, HDEOs were also a great way to ensure a generous helping of those tasty additives. Great news for Jeep owners, not only does the 4.0L love 40W oil, it seems to also love HDEO 40W oil.

I'm not sure how that flat tappet concern ever panned out but it seems logical enough to me.

I have several friends with jeeps that keep running regular old 5w30 and 10w30 (cheap as they can find it) and I keep telling them they'll never make it to the million mile club like that!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back